Graphics Card Overheating

chaudha 00:39 22 Jan 09

I've found that my card has been running with a GPU core temperature at around 83 degrees+ on a regular basis. This has been going on for a long time and I only recently found out because I've noticed poor graphics perfomance in games. When I do run games, the temperature goes to 100 degrees+ so I'm worried now that i will damage the card.

My card is about 4 years old. The airflow in my case is not ideal which i think contributes to the problem. What can I do to prevent any damage?

3gboosterman 02:32 22 Jan 09

Not only will you damage your card, but your pc too.
If you look inside your pc case, are there alot of dust on the fans, fins and components? If yes, then it could all contribute to overheating.
I usually and very carefully vaccuum mine every 2 months.

But I think you may have a faulty graphics card.
Something similar happened to me when a stores name which contains 4 letters and begins with "A" sold me a faulty 8800 series card which looks like it has been used and resold as new. It was so hot that all the plastic near the card slots felt like they where going to melt.
They exchanged without a question.

I think you need a new graphics card.
If you have access to a different graphics card, why not test it in your system before jumping out to buy one?

Good Luck.

chaudha 12:43 22 Jan 09

Thank for the advice. I dusted out my case with an old toothbrush and got rid of a lot of built up dust on the card and around it. It still is too hot so i'm firstly going to buy a 120mm and a couple of 80mm case fans to exhaust some of the hot air. Then I may get a vga cooler and hopefully this should all result in a cooler card. I will think about getting a new card later on, but at the moment I think it's a last resort.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac