Graphics card overheating ?

Flopper 10:55 27 Nov 03

I have just bought a Gainward GeForce 128MB GF4MX440 AGP Card which has cooling fins but no fan attached. I will be running this on a Gigabyte motherboard with a P3 1GB chip and 384mb of SDram playing games such as Wolfenstein and Call Of Duty, etc.
My concern is that the card will overheat. Is this likely and what will the symptoms be, ie, will the PC just lock up/freeze or am I worrying over something that will not happen.
Also does anybody have any experience with both GeForce 3 and GeForce MX cards. One school of thought seems to prefer the GF3's and tend's to dismiss the GF4 MX as offering little if any gain in performance. Would I be better with a GF3 64mb card as opposed to a GF4 MX440 128 mb ?

Jester2K II 10:57 27 Nov 03

Man - i was about to ask that same question cos if i can't get the fan working on my GF3 then i wante to know which would be a decent but cheap GF4...

Gongoozler 11:01 27 Nov 03

Hi Flopper. I recently fitted a Gainward GF4 MX440. I was concerned about the possibility of overheating, but haven't experienced any problems. As long as your computer case is reasonably well ventilated I don't think you'll have any trouble with overheating. If you want to increase the ventilation near your graphics card, this fan from Ebuyer for under a fiver fits in a PCI slot click here

Flopper 11:04 27 Nov 03

I would expect to pay approximately £25/30 for a decent 64mb MX 440 if you go on EBay and £40 plus for a 128mb version. When you read the reviews of a 'round up' of the MX440 cards they all tend to perform the same, as they tend to share the same chipset, ie, Nvidia, but I did read somewhere that those made by LeadTek are well recieved by the trade press.

Jester2K II 11:11 27 Nov 03

Cheers

I assume a GF4 MX440 is as good as if not better than a GF3 Ti200?

Not looking for blistering speeds but want something as capable as the Ti200 which does me nicely...

Cheers again

Flopper 11:11 27 Nov 03

Thanx for the info. I will probably go for one.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:12 27 Nov 03

I have a 128mb 440mx mine has a fan tho and it runs cod/mohaa sweet as a nut.

Regards

Chegs ® 11:17 27 Nov 03

If the card overheats,freezing,stuttering,etc can often be the result.The majority of various mfg cards use the same GPU,the only real differences are software included and quality of components used to build the cards.I have a GF4 Ti4600(AGP x 4)unbranded,with card testing progs(3d mark)it was very difficult to get a reasonable score(Ti4600 were averaging 12,000 points)I bought a new card (Winfast Ti4800,AGP x 8)which LOOKS identical to the TI4600,but default settings (no OC) produces 12,000 score.I have just d/l the demo of NFS Underground and ramped up the resolutions in the game.The Ti4600 stutters/freezes momentarily as soon as I increase the res,yet the Ti4800 will go 1280 x 1024 and higher with no prob.The Ti4600 I bought for £200,the Ti4800 I bought for £90.To get the best card for the least money,ebay.co.uk as folk often "upgrade" their cards by replacing a GPU(NV17) card with the latest card which on checking its specs I find has EXACTLY the same GPU(NV17)I think NVidia GPU's are upto NV25,which can be bought cheaply by simply opting for a lower spec card.The MX cards dont seem to perform anything like the Ti series,yet they are supposed to have the same GPU's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…