Graphics Card Output

magicgreig 20:42 PM 03 May 12

Hi there,

I got a new graphics card with DL-DVI output i need to get a new monitor for it, would a monitor with DVI-D input work with it?

Many thanks!

Terry Brown 21:24 PM 03 May 12

As far as I understand it it is a Duel link DVI card, meaning 2 DVI outputs for 2 monitors- Is this correct.

As long as the graphic card output has the Square White socket, any digital monitor should fit.

Terry

KRONOS the First 08:33 AM 04 May 12

I think Terry Brown is quite correct, but to be absolutely sure please post the make/model of your new graphics card.

rdave13 19:13 PM 05 May 12

"When connecting a digital monitor to a video card, most people use a DVI-D cable. Most monitors have only DVI-D connectors. You can't plug a DVI-I cable into a DVI-D monitor because the cable won't fit in the connector. Most video cards have DVI-I connectors because they support both analog and digital video. But some video cards have DVI-D connectors which means you can't use a DVI-I cable. I suspect that most DVI-I cables are purchased by mistake. People are hooking a DVI monitor to the DVI connector on the video card and assume that a DVI-I cable will work because it supports both analog and digital. It sounds like a universal cable. Then they discover that they can't use a DVI-I cable because either the monitor or video card has a DVI-D connector. The easiest way to deal with the issue is to use only DVI-D cables and avoid DVI-I cables. That's the standard solution: use VGA cables for connecting VGA monitors and use DVI-D cables for connecting digital monitors."

From here.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to choose a photographer

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone