graphics card or no graphics card

ross_mcculloch 20:00 01 Jan 08

I'm after a new pc, I don't do gaming but I watch a lot of dvds, videos and online streaming content...should I go for a basic video card or is it a total waste of money?

Strawballs 20:19 01 Jan 08

If the graphics is onboard shared then it eats into your ram.

wee eddie 21:06 01 Jan 08

as Strawballs says "Onboard Graphics can eat RAM", So a Vista PC with only 1GB of RAM would be under equipped.

So long as you have 2GB RAM, with Vista, all everyday functions would be handled without problem. That is to say ~ watching DVDs ~ Web Surfing ~ all everyday Office Functions ~ simple/old games

ross_mcculloch 16:17 02 Jan 08

I'll have 2gb ram and the only things I'll be doing that might make a graphics card useful are watching online, downloaded and dvd movies plus using screen capture/recording software...would even a basic 256mb graphics card be of some use or is it only going to have an impact if i start gaming?

The graphics card is the only bit of the pc set-up that confuses me!

Totally-braindead 16:33 02 Jan 08

As long as gaming isn't a factor then get a cheap, basic one.
Personally I do refer a graphics card rather than using the onboard for the reasons stated above by the others.

Strawballs 22:21 02 Jan 08

I have an Nvidia FX5200 256meg in my daughters machine and it handles everything the throws at it even her Harry Potter games :-)

Strawballs 22:22 02 Jan 08

That should have read "everything she throws at it"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…