graphics card or monitor problem?

3rdday 22:47 19 Nov 03

Recently my monitor screen has started to flicker, with the desktop picture contracting from top and bottom while it does so. It'll do it for a bit and then be okay for a while, but seems to be happening more frequently as time goes by. I haven't changed anything in the setup and I haven't placed any speakers, etc. nearer to the screen. Does this sound like the graphics card might be on its way out, or the monitor?

pete-290318 23:05 19 Nov 03

from the description you give I would say the monitor is on its last legs. I've seen a couple start like this and then pack up totally.

BarryKeith 23:09 19 Nov 03

Sounds like either the frame sync is going or the frame oscillator has changed so that the syncronisation circuitry is having trouble keeping it on frequency. I suggest that you try your monitor on another computer to see if you get the same result.

Giggle n' Bits 23:10 19 Nov 03

Hardware or Monitor change it could be the Display properties that have changed, or the refesh rate within the display properties.

I had similar problem when I got a new Iiyama 17" monitor and they told me the AGP card was not up to the job. I am currently waiting for a new AGP card.

I would if you can try someone elses Monitor 1st.
Then if no improvement replace the older item either the monitor or the AGP/PCI card. If its onbaord AGP VGA maybe the shared memory level is strained.

chutchy35 23:26 19 Nov 03

anyone tell me the best graphics card i can get for about £50

3rdday 22:46 06 Jan 04

The problem eventually got worse, so that the Monitor display frequently narrowed to a thin bright line across the middle of the screen. Mitsubishi have replaced the monitor under warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…