Graphics Card or the Monitor

star_4781 09:57 14 Nov 03

Having purchased a graphics card for the 1st time (Nvidia FX5200 128mb) & finding problems getting it to work with any monitor - I would just like to find out if what the shop, where I bought the card from, are telling me is correct or not.

Have tryed 2 TFT monitors (both the cheapest ones out) & a old standard Dell monitor with this new graphic's card - & all 3 turn off (lose signal) the minute windows XP boots up & gets to the desktop. Have entered VGA mode & played with the settings, but even on the lowest resolution @ 60HZ the 3 monitors all power off.

The shop has told me to get a new monitor as the ones I am using obviously cant cope with the graphics card, cheap TFT's are renowned for this he says & the Dell is just too old to take the card.

Is this correct, or is there a fault somewhere else other than the monitors - like the card itself ??

TECHNODIMWIT 10:05 14 Nov 03

ihad the same problem with invidea on board graphics, after installing from mobo driver disk.

when i downloaded and installed the latest drivers, prob went away.

click here

my TFT 15" is set 1024x768 at 75hz

mark

TECHNODIMWIT 10:08 14 Nov 03

I think he is trying to flog you a new monitor.

hugh-265156 11:12 14 Nov 03

did you uninstall the previous graphics card drivers and/or disable any onboard graphics in the bios before installing the new card?

froggg 11:40 14 Nov 03

sorry for asking-but assuming you had onboard graphics before,you have plugged the monitor into the new card?

Jester2K II 11:46 14 Nov 03

Its not the monitors......

Had the same problem with a new card and TFT screen until i changed a setting in the BIOS to disable the onboard. The setting varies from MoBo to MoBo. Tell us the MoBo and someone'll have the setting you need to change.

In this case i think i had to change the Video Output Setting from AGP to PCI (which meant use the AGP card in the AGP port and not the onboard graphics!!! - Thats confused me but it worked!!

hugh-265156 11:54 14 Nov 03

my bios (AMI) has choices in the advanced menu

VGA BOOT FROM:

1 auto (boots from device connected to)

2 internal (onboard)

3 external (agp or pci card)

set to auto if you have it otherwise external.

also in the advanced menu somewhere you may have

"shared memory" set to disable if you can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…