Graphics card or memory problem??

chelseafan 18:15 02 Jul 06

I've had a number of BSOD's and system freezes lately with responses from Microsoft telling me that there may be a hardware problem; possibly RAM. My PC (Dell 4700)came with 512MB and I recently (6 weeks ago) increased this to 1024. All has been fine until the past couple of days. I've removed the 'new' RAM and now everything seems fine. When I reinstall it and re-boot, the system freezes at a black screen before loading windows. A sort of error message is displayed at the top of the screen; "X300 128MB BIOS P/N 113-A33406-100" When I looked at the graphics card under System Info there is a message; "This Device Cannot Start" It's a ATI Radeon X300. If there was a problem with the graphics card wouldn't this show up elsewhere. Crucial suggested a run 'memtest' but i have not been able to do this as I don't have a floppy drive.
Any ideas?

aca 18:52 02 Jul 06

chelseafan

my advice is that if the pc doesn't work with the new RAM but works fine without then it is the new RAM thats faulty. Where did you get it? If reputable they should exchange for new.

chelseafan 18:59 02 Jul 06

It came from Crucial. They've been helpful, promised to replace it, but asked me to run the memtest check first (click here). This file must be downloaded to a floppy and the PC rebooted. I don't have a floppy drive and there doesn't seem to be a CD option. The problem will be that with the Crucial RAM installed the PC locks up anyway. I guess i could swap it with the existing (dell installed) RAM. (I have 2x256 supplied with the PC and I have added a further 2X256 from Crucial)

aca 19:47 02 Jul 06

I think that it is possible to save memtest and create a bootable CD (looks a bit fiddly). Other option is to use an alternative. Look at

click here

I think that if you explain to Crucial re floppy they will fulfill their promise and replace with new stick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now