graphics card only recognised by nvidia

mornin all, i have tried everything to unravel this puzzle, i had vista on this pc for a while and when i downloaded nvidia drivers and turned on coolbits it worked fine evrything told me i had 8800 grx card, after various game lock ups etc i tried the microsoft drivers, but on reboot all windows would find was a vga compatible adaptor and noyt the 8800, on reloading the vivia driver all was back to normal.
Now i put this down to the nvidia drivers disarming something to stop microsoft search for a driver of their own, however, i have done a format and reinstall of xp and this morning, whilst messing around i noticed xp doesnt recognise my card either? i have uninstalled via device manager, removed all drivers, even removed the card (damn hard work!) rebooted with on board graphics, and replaced and rebooted with both a 8800 and 7600 card and windows didnt recognise either of them?
again download nvidia drivers and it finds both no problems, so why isn xp (or vista) finding my cards, i had no problems since downloading the first vista beta (sorry cant remember the number)
any ideas?
thanks as always
adam

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:47 04 May 07

Windows only has the basic drivers in its system and therefore will NOT recognise trhe cards as anything but VGA compatible.

Whenever windows is installed you need to run the CD that came with the motherboard / graphics card / modem / sound card / what ever other cards or equipment you have fitted, to install the lcorrect drivers for that equipment.

oh i see, thought it did it before with xp, vista recognised the cards, i guess xp doesnt, (my memory aint what is was!)
thanks very much for your haelp
adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac