Graphics card no display

Alan-Petrie 18:33 13 Mar 09

Hi I recently bought and installed a new graphics card (HD2900) previously I had a (HD2600) I thought I had fully uninstalled the hd2600 drivers as when I used windows the measure the performence of my computer it told me I had no graphics card driver. I then swapped the graphics card and plugged in both the 6pin adapters for the hd2900, the fan spins and the bios beep is still heard howvever nothing appears on the screen.

Alan-Petrie 18:38 13 Mar 09

sorry I didnt mean to post that message.

I am running windows vista and my power supply is a hiper power rated at 580watts (thats not the peak power) and 30amps on two 12volt lines so that should be fine since the card only reccomends a 500watt power supply.

If there is any more information I am happy to help.

Thanks Alan

Alan-Petrie 19:28 13 Mar 09

I swapped the old card back in and all is fine. So I have I have no idea what could be wrong.

Grey Goo 20:09 13 Mar 09

May be a resolution problem. Can you boot into VGA mode and sort out your resolution problem or reinstall drivers. Sorry not a great expert on these matters.

Alan-Petrie 21:45 13 Mar 09

no i can get any display up not even the bios, I beging to think it may have been damaged in the post. thanks for your help so far.

citadel 21:55 13 Mar 09

I had a card that would not work I sent it back and it tested ok, I needed a bios update to get it to work.

Alan-Petrie 23:14 13 Mar 09

Hi thanks for your help I tried the bios update but it had no effect.

Alan-Petrie 14:28 14 Mar 09

could it be possible reinstalling vista would help in case there was files left on the hard drive preventing the new graphics card from starting.

Alan-Petrie 17:32 14 Mar 09

turns out the problem was the dvi cable. the card just doesnt seem to work with that particular one. But it works fine when I connect using a hdmi cable. Thanks for the help Alan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac