graphics card needs 250w but only have 200w?

dufoy 15:30 26 Sep 03

Hi there, i have a dell dimension 2350 with pci slots not agp (not good!) i am thinking of buying a pny verto ge force 5200 pci card, but the card requires a 250w supply but my p.c. only has a 200w supply. will this card run on my machine?. i'd like to play most of the new games on it. But at the moment i only have on board graphics. i have 512 ram and 2.5 processor. i used to have a hercules radeon 9000 card which worked fine, this required a 3.2 or 2.1 volt supply what is this in watts? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lead 15:46 26 Sep 03

It's not as simple as converting a power supply's output in Watts to Volts. There's a good chance it would work, but I wouldn't chance it.

With hard disk drives, floppy drive, CD drives and other components all fighting for power from the 200W supply, you may well experience a little instability and system crashes.

So if you can't upgrade the PSU too, then I would look for a less demanding gfx card.

dufoy 15:55 26 Sep 03

wow that was a fast response, thanks, i have heard of other people running this card with no probs on the dell community forum. but as you say it might bugger up something else. i think i might stick with the radeon 9000. what do you think? has any body else got any ideas on this problem?

SEASHANTY 15:59 26 Sep 03

Just upgrade your power supply unit for a 300 watt model. Should cost around £25 to £30. Surely if you can afford the new graphics card a new PSU can also be purchased. Better that than ruining your system.

Diemmess 16:01 26 Sep 03

The trend is all for even more than 300 watts these days, but you should check with Dell that the new graphics card will be at home on that motherboard.

Also make sure by asking Dell that an off-the-shelf new PSU (cheapest by internet order) will fit your case/motherboard, because some big-name manufacturers will physically only fit their components.

dufoy 16:49 26 Sep 03

thanks for all your help i shall try to upgrade the psu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…