Graphics card memory

Epoc 13:34 19 Oct 03

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop and it is more than fast enough for what I need to do. However the graphics card memory is too low to play modern games(8mb), as it is not a shared card I cannot increase the memory through the system. I was wondering if anyone knows of any software which will let system memory be shared with the graphics card. The graphics chip is a GeForce2 Go.

hugh-265156 13:44 19 Oct 03

not that i know of but in if you start the game and minimise or alt+tab,open up task manager and select processes,right click the game and give it a slightly higher priority which may give a bit of a boost.it wont help much,especially if there are loads of other programs running and if you set too high it may become unstable,best to shut down everything else you dont need,defrag and play the game.

£50 + will get you a card that will play todays games no problems.

hugh-265156 13:46 19 Oct 03

ment to say in xp task manager.

Epoc 15:40 19 Oct 03

Thanks for your help. Unfortunatly it is a laptop so it would be around £150 for a basic card, if you can find someone who stocks them. The problem with having too little video memory is that games, such as GTA3, won't run at all if they do not detect enough graphics memory.

hugh-265156 17:16 19 Oct 03

sorry i didnt read your post very well.didnt see the laptop bit.

i was under the impression that most laptops did share system memory for the graphics though.this would have to be increased via the advanced chipset menu in the bios if it does.

for gtavc the minimum system requirements are:

Minimum Hardware
800 MHz Intel Pentium III or 800 MHz AMD Athlon or 1.2GHz Intel Celeron or 1.2 GHz AMD Duron processor
128 MB of RAM
8 speed CD / DVD drive
915 MB of free hard disk space
(+ 635 MB if video card does NOT support DirectX Texture Compression)
32 MB video card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers ("GeForce" or better)
Sound Card with DirectX 9.0 compatible drivers Keyboard & Mouse

so if you can up the shared memory via the bios it must be set to 32mb or higher.you will need to also install direct x9 and get the latest drivers which support it,even if your graphics are 8.1 compliant.i had to so this myself.

Epoc 17:55 20 Oct 03

Unfortunatly it is not an on-board graphics card. It means that it can be upgraded but also that it does not share system memory.

citadel 18:21 20 Oct 03

In games I have found it is best to go by each games recommended system requirements. Games makers seem to set the minimum requirements too low for many games. Some new games even put an Alienware pc under pressure.

Epoc 18:34 20 Oct 03

My laptop easily meets all the recommended requirements of the games I want to run, more than double in most cases, except for the graphics memory.I realise I wouldn't be able to run the latest lates games, I have a console for that, but would like to run newer ones to beat boredom whilst on move. At the moment I can run Unreal Tournament and thats about it.

hugh-265156 18:43 20 Oct 03

looks as if an upgrade is the only option then.i cant find any laptop graphics cards via google.have you tried the laptop manufacturer for upgrades etc?

Epoc 23:07 20 Oct 03

I know I can get an upgrade card for £150, but being a lowly student I was hoping there would be some kind of software which would allow me to share memory virtualy with the graphics in order to fool the games. I am sure my system is powerful enough to compensate, it just needs a bit more graphics memory.

Epoc 16:35 21 Oct 03

I have had a good search for any software but cannot find any, I am coming to the conclusion that none exists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…