Graphics card for LG Widescreen monitor

machins 20:57 20 May 07

Just bought a new LG 22" wide screen monitor but my existing graphics card cannot be set to the right resolution, so, I have been told, I need a new one.
Any recommendations please?
Thanks

Totally-braindead 22:04 20 May 07

Before I look about for something for you a few questions.
What graphics do you have and what is the model number of the widescreen monitor you have?
I just want to make sure that you have been told the truth by checking out the resolutions of both myself.
Also does the graphics card you have do all you ask of it or do you need an upgrade anyway?
Does it really matter if you run the monitor at a slightly lower resolution, I do it with mine, mainly because when gaming I find the optimum resolution for my monitor makes the graphics card struggle a little bit.
And finally, assumming all other questions have been answered, how much are you willing to spend and what is the spec ie speed of your PC?

Stuartli 22:54 20 May 07

If you right click on the Desktop>Properties>Settings>Advanced button>Adapter tab>List All Modes button, you can check exactly what colour/resolution/refresh rates your graphics card will support.

Assuming this is a TFT type monitor, a refresh rate of 60MHz is most usual, compared to 85MHz for a CRT monitor (to prevent flicker for the majority of users).

keef66 10:03 21 May 07

I had to install the correct drivers (3 lots)for my Samsung 205BW before the DVI input would work and the native resolution appeared in the list of those supported by the graphics card.

Having got there in the end I can confirm that it is well worth running at the native resolution; it looks so much better than any of the alternatives I tried initially.

In case you do end up having to change the card, mine's a geforce 6600 and runs the 20" widescreen @ 1680 x 1050.

machins 15:53 21 May 07

many thanks for your advice. I had to het a new graphics card from the local computer shop (£45.00). I installed and configured it amd now all is perfect!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…