graphics card installation problems

trev23 22:10 23 Jun 08

I have a six year old pc with an agp board.I recently fitted a new asus ah3650 agp graphics card.Ive increased the power supply to 420watts. When i tried to re boot my pc froze just before the xp welcome screen. My local pc shop repaired windows and got it booting up properly but it doesnt recognise the card has been installed.Ive uninstalled the old nvidia drivers but cant install the new drivers from the supplied disc or from the internet.I get the message "setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration please make sure you have the required hardware or software" The shop tried another older agp card in my pc and that wasnt recognised either.They are now saying I should wipe the system and start again which seems a little extreme. I tried system restore but that only goes back to the time xp was repaired.Please give me your opinions, is it a software problem? is wiping the system the only fix? and is it sure to work if i do?
Any suggestions will be much appreciated,thanks.

brundle 22:11 23 Jun 08

What board precisely? Find out with this click here

brundle 22:11 23 Jun 08

Sorry, what `motherboard`...

trev23 22:19 23 Jun 08

its a MSI KT3 Ultra 2 with usb 2.0 support

citadel 22:38 23 Jun 08

as your pc ix 6 years old you may need a motherboard bios update to get the card recognised. I had to do this with a 7900gs agp card. I also had a msi board and used msi liveupdate and it worked ok, updating bios is risky and can go wrong so it is a last resort.

trev23 23:16 23 Jun 08

where do i get this update and what are the risks? Would i have the same problem with other agp cards? is it worth getting a new board? Thanks for your input.

brundle 23:51 23 Jun 08

Your board only supports AGP2.0 4x, the card is AGP3.0 8x, which are compatible in terms of pinouts, but could be the root of the problem.

click here

BIOS updates here click here

brundle 23:52 23 Jun 08

Need to know what the other card was to draw any other conclusions.

trev23 17:58 24 Jun 08

my old card is a nvidia geforce 4 ti 4200 tv/dvi 128mb

trev23 18:07 24 Jun 08

if the 3650 is not compatable with my motherboard what is the best compatable card i could get?

brundle 18:30 24 Jun 08

That card is early AGP3 8x too, so I appear to be barking up the wrong tree with that idea.
Can you clarify - your original card is the TI4200 - it worked before, does it work now?
"The shop tried another older agp card in my pc " - is that another card again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…