Graphics Card Installation Problems

mr.tombo 13:11 08 Jan 06

Hi there,
I recently tried to install a Sapphire ATI Radeon x800 XL on to my PC. After installation I kept getting into the Windows welcome screen then the screen would 'corrupt' (lines and dots etc.) I then upgraded my power supply from 300W to 350W, Which seemed to help at first until 5 minutes into useing my PC it turned its self off without shutting down, like a fuse had gone or something. I put my old graphics card in (keeping in the 350W power supply) and its running fine(!) Has anyone any ideas. I've got a Foxconn 915MH mother board, 1Gb RAM, and a pentium 4. Thanks

007al 13:22 08 Jan 06

What power supply is it?

Gongoozler 13:25 08 Jan 06

'corrupt' (lines and dots etc.). This is usually indicative of a memory problem. I suspect the card might be faulty.

mr.tombo 14:43 08 Jan 06

im running it on a 350W PSU. The lines and dots dont appear anymore since i put a 350W unit in...Everything is working fine for around 5mins then it cuts out...

Gongoozler 14:54 08 Jan 06

What else does your computer have. For an estimate of the power you need click here. Power supplies aren't all built equal. Some 350W supplies are inferior to some 300W unts. 350W sounds a bit low for a P4.

007al 14:58 08 Jan 06

If its a generic psu,it may not be supplying decent flow.According to ATI,it should run ok on 300W and above.Cheap psu`s will give below the needed ratings though

mr.tombo 15:11 08 Jan 06

I checked out that calculator (thanks) and it recomends i need minimum 406W(!) I hope that is the cause for the problem. ill get a 600W to be sure!

Mr Mistoffelees 15:18 08 Jan 06

I bought an ATI Radeon X800XL before Christmas. It was OK running 2D applications and old games with simple graphics. If I tried to run any DirectX games that were more demanding graphically it crashed every time after 2>10 minutes, in the same manner as you describe. After corresponding with the manufacturer, Club 3D, and trying their suggestions I was advised to send it back as faulty, though the likely fault was never explained. All is now well running with an nVidia GeForce 6800GS. All the time I was running with a good quality 600W psu, well in excess of the needs of my system.

mr.tombo 21:50 12 Jan 06

I got myself a 650W PSU today, installed the card again and everything seemed to be working fine. I managed to play GTA. When I then tried to enter the CATALYST CONTROL CENTRE my PC crashed. Battle Field 2 wont even start up now. I think its b*ggered. Any suggestions?

Totally-braindead 22:00 12 Jan 06

Its possible that due to all the crashes you had earlier that the driver is corrupted, what I would try first is deleting the old driver and reinstalling the latest ones.

mr.tombo 23:00 12 Jan 06

Just done that - no different. Could it be that I am running the chipset graphics at the same time? Should I disable these?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced