Graphics card installation problems

3rdday 22:58 06 Jan 04

I recently decide that it would be a good idea to replace the 4Mb graphics card in my ancient Compaq with a more powerful card. Since the slot configuration in the PC is a little strange and the existing card seems to be made especially to fit the Compaq I couldn't find a new card to fit in the AGP slot, so I bought a 32Mb PCI card instead.

I removed the existing card from the Device Manager, shut down the PC, took out the old card and installed the new. The PC would then refuse to start - it beeped a few times a few seconds after turning the power on and ground to a halt, with nothing displaying on the screen. It will only work with the old card back in the AGP slot and the monitor plugged into that - it doesn't seem to recognise that it has a new PCI card installed at all (nothing shows in Device Manager for it). I've tried it in different PCI slots, but no joy. Am I doing something wrong?

Jester2K 23:07 06 Jan 04

1) "it beeped a few times " Whats the EXACT pattern of beeps?

2) Whats the new card

3) Whats the spec of the PC as a whole?

hugh-265156 23:09 06 Jan 04

check in your bios click here that the display is set to boot from pci not agp.

3rdday 23:22 06 Jan 04

I can't remember the exact pattern of beeps, but it was about four or five loud beeps, very soon after the hard disk spins up (i.e. only a few seconds after turning the power on). The new card is a Pine SiS 315E 32Mb PCI. The PC is a P II 300MMX, with 192Mb RAM, running Windows 98. It meets the spec required by the card (according to the blurb that came with it).

THE BIOS setting looks worth invetstigating. I will have a look at this a bit later. Thanks for the info.

Jester2K 07:43 07 Jan 04

If you can't sort it we need to know the EXACT pattern of beeps to determine whats wrong.

3rdday 22:41 07 Jan 04

Couldn't get into the BIOS at first, because there is no diagnostics partition on the hard drive. I think it got overwritten when I installed Windows 98 on it months ago. Didn't know it had one until it was gone!

So, downloaded the setup utilities from the Compaq/HP web site to run from floppy, but can't see any where how to change it to boot from PCI instead of AGP, so I'm still stuck.

The pattern of beeps is: one long beep followed by two shorter ones.

hugh-265156 18:04 08 Jan 04

"Couldn't get into the BIOS at first, because there is no diagnostics partition on the hard drive"

the bios set up does not access the hard drive and you should not need to download any software to get into it.sounds to me as if you have downloaded a restore/return to factory settings floppy which is not what you want.

when you first sitch the computer on you should see a black and white "post" screen briefly appear with hardware info etc displayed on it.on this screen it should say something similar to "hit F2 to enter set up"(you need to be quick to catch it)

as you mentioned you have a compaq,from the link above:

Compaq Presario - Press Alt + Ctrl + Esc at boot when you see the "Compaq" logo in big letters or keep tapping F10 at the post screen.

every bios set up layout will be slightly different to the next so i cant say for sure where to look to change the setting,you will have to dig around a bit im afraid.

i have an ami bios and the "vga boot from agp/pci/auto" option is found in the "advanced/plug and play configuration" menu if its any help to you.

note down any settings before changing them in case you have any problems they can always be reset your changes before exiting the bios(usually F10)

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:07 08 Jan 04

Those beeps seem to mean that the video card is not seated right or is faulty,try reseating it.

click here

3rdday 18:45 09 Jan 04

Still can't get into the BIOS. I've tried every key and key combination imaginable, with no success. No clue is given on the screen - there is an initial screen with just a Compaq logo on, then a black and white screen which only says that it's tested the memory okay and with "F12 for Network Boot" in the bottom corner, and then it boots into Windows.

Anyway, it looks like I do need to change things in the BIOS if I can get to it. The new card works fine in another PC. The beeps only occur if the original AGP card has been removed.

hugh-265156 23:01 09 Jan 04

when you see the compaq logo press

Alt + Ctrl + Esc

3rdday 23:15 09 Jan 04

That doesn't work. Neither does the other popular Compaq one, F10. I must have got into the BIOS one time, because I set it to boot from CD so I could install Windows 98 months ago, but I can't do it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…