graphics card installation problem

jonnie blaze 20:12 01 Jan 08

trying to upgrade from ati radeon 9200 to a ati radeon x1650pro agp, followed instructions and removed old drivers before installing new card, butafter new card and driverss are installed when i reboot the monitor wont come on. all specs are fine i.e psu, ram etc

QuizMan 20:20 01 Jan 08

If you can get no graphics at all, even at the initial POST stage, then it is likely to be one of the following:
Card not seated corrected in the AGP slot.
Poor monitor cable connection
New card is faulty.

My suggestion would be to reinstall the old card and boot into safe mode. If that works, try the new card again and ensure that it is seated correctly and cable is properly attached. If that fails (in safe mode) then it seems that there's something wrong with the new card.

Good luck

jonnie blaze 01:53 02 Jan 08

thanks for your help quizman, ive looked on the AMD website, as i have just spent two days trying to instal this graphics card
just wish id have known that it was RUBBISH when i purchased it.
they shouldnt be allowed to sell rubbish like this knowing that it dont work, it's just a waste of peoples time and money!!!

(below copied off AMD site)

Symptoms:
After the installation of Catalyst display drivers there is no display available in WINDOWS when some TFT monitors are digitally connected to DVI port of a Radeon product.

Other graphic cards or TFT monitors may be affected.

Cause:
Not known.

Solution:
Currently there is no solution.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.

harps1h 08:38 02 Jan 08

if you have tried what quizman said then rather than waste time return to where you bought the card and ask them to test it. if it is truly faulty then it will be replaced. i'm quite sure the company did not sell you a faulty display card deliberately and as for the card because this one did not work it doesn't mean all the cards of the same spec are "rubbish". as a matter of interest what type of connection are you trying to make? dvi or analogue. there are adapters available to change the connector type, in fact most cards come with one or the other dependant on the native connection type

jonnie blaze 09:43 02 Jan 08

thanks for your msg but after spending hours upon hours trying (tried everything)to instal this graphics card, then going to the amd web site,and reading this. my opinion is it is RUBBISH. p.s just got back from where i purchased it from, and it's faulty, I.e RUBBISH.
(below copied off AMD site)

Symptoms:
After the installation of Catalyst display drivers there is no display available in WINDOWS when some TFT monitors are digitally connected to DVI port of a Radeon product.

Other graphic cards or TFT monitors may be affected.

Cause:
Not known.

Solution:
Currently there is no solution.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.

tullie 09:53 02 Jan 08

Hve you tried and answered what what Harps asked you?Its not helping by repeating the same post

harps1h 10:00 02 Jan 08

at least it is established that it was a faulty card and hopefully he can move on from there. I would caution, although one card is faulty it does not mean that all of that series or maker are "rubbish". In all our purchases there is a risk that a product maybe faulty, and we will have opinions as to which will do a better job in our circumstances. It would be nice to think that jonnie blaze will go through his lifetime without making a mistake or run the risk of someone saying he is "rubbish"

jonnie blaze 10:18 02 Jan 08

also in my opinion where you said that they did not sell it me knowing that it is faulty the cause and solution on the amd web site tells me they did !, if i would have known there were a particular fault with this graphics card i wouldnt have bought it and i certainly wouldnt have spent hours and hours trying to instal it..

Totally-braindead 12:05 02 Jan 08

I think you are getting a bit wound up. I appreciate that you are upset with the problems you have had and at the time you have wasted but its impossible for all retailers to know everything about items they sell.
Obviously ATI know theres a problem as you said you got that info from their website but that does not mean the retailer you got the card from knows about it. Just because its on the AMD site about a card problem does not mean the company you bought it from knew about it.
I think you should focus on getting a new card and getting your PC up and running with it.
And I would get a different card obviously.

jonnie blaze 16:11 02 Jan 08

my point was that they new there was a problem with it according to the amd website, but i only found out after i had spent a long time trying it, but it is just my opinion as i think i am entitled to, i tried everything, and in my life i will make some mistakes but i will not sell anything if i know it is broken.
anyway the good news is i got a refund and bought a sapphire one and it is fantastic, easy to set up, no problems took me about ten minutes to instal. i was wound up but only because i was pulling my hair out with it

harps1h 16:41 02 Jan 08

to take a positive spin on this, look at it this way. you have now gained a knowledge that you didn't have before and use that to help others. just as in the same way i spent the guts of a week wondering what i had done wrong when i put on vista and was not able to connect to the internet. after days of fruitlessly fiddling with setting i bought a new network card and was on the net within 20 secs of restarting my computer. in the end as in this case the answer was simpler than seemed all was wrong was my card was version 1 and a second version only was compatible with vista. so commit it to memory for the next time and enjoy your new card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos