Graphics card information

23790954 18:12 18 May 06

As I stated on a recent previous request, I have just changed my system from a midi tower to a worldtop desktop case, which I like very much, due to it being less bulky. However since I changed to the desktop case, my system does not reboot fully after installing programmes etc.
As 300W power supply is the strongest you can purchase for this case, I called the store where I purchased the case. Their technician said that installing a more compatable Graphics card would solve my problem, as it would reduce the power the graphics card is taking from the system. The graphics card I have installed is an ATI Radeon 9550. Can anyone put any light on this matter, and recommend a graphics card which would solve the problem. My system consists of an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard;
AMD Athlon 2600+; over 1 gig of pc 3200 ddr
memory; and runs both DVD rom and DVD writer.
Many thanks for any help given.

Gongoozler 19:50 18 May 06

Run your system spec through this wattage calculator and see where the power is going click here

Gongoozler 19:53 18 May 06

You say that a 300W supply is the most powerful you can get for your case. Does that mean that the PSU is not standard ATX dimensions?

Totally-braindead 20:55 18 May 06

I think the person who told you this is telling you a load of rubbish. If the ATI Radeon 9550 does not have a seperate power connector and gets all its power from the AGP slot, which I think it does. I cannot see how swapping the graphics card can posssibly make any difference. The difference between cards would be perhaps 5 watts maybe as high as 10 watts, if your PC is as borderline as this on power then this will not help. Even if it does have a seperate power connector the difference is still only likely to be say another 10 to 15 watts.

Disconnecting one of your optical drives will save you perhaps 20 - 25 watts, disconnect one of them first and see if it makes any difference .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…