Graphics card help please

Mosquitoes 20:45 30 Jan 07

Hi All, My computer is getting a little old and I want it to last for another 6 to 12 months while vista settles down before I buy my next Computer, So I thought about boosting its graphic card in the mean time I play the odd game nothing much. so what do I need to know its a time computer amd xp 2600+
1.0gb ram
with a current radeon 9200 series graphics card.

I had a quick look on the web and thought the x1600 pro would do, is that a good choice ? finally how do I go about finding if my comp is AGP or PCI- Express and is it easy to install.

sean-278262 21:11 30 Jan 07

Easy to install yes. To find if it is PCIe or AGP simply find out the make of motherboard and google it. I would think the x1600 should do you fine. However if you only want to last 6 months I would try stick to what you have for that time and save the cash to throw at a new machine.

Mosquitoes 21:30 30 Jan 07

Thanks for the reply, I should wait but as I am going to upgrade my computer in the future and give this one to my daughter, I thought I would have a go at being a bit a teche and see if I could improve it abit, Disaster looms I can't seem to find the mother board info ( because it's a time ) but it does say pci on the 9200 graphics this is the one I was looking at

card.click here

any advice ?

Mr Mistoffelees 21:30 30 Jan 07

As you have a very old graphics card, I rhink there is no doubt it will be AGP, not PCI-E.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:34 30 Jan 07

In the light of your new posting it seem you have a PCI (not the same as PCI-Express) graphics card. You won't, easily, find anything much faster for your motherboard. I suggest you do as Creature of the Nite suggests and wait until you get your new PC.

Mosquitoes 21:39 30 Jan 07

Thanks for the advice, will do.
I will no doubt be back at upgrade time when vista seems to be running smoothly.
Thank you again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…