graphics card help..

pcnoob 09:04 27 Aug 09

Hello,

I currently play world of warcraft, and my machine is struggling to play the game with much of a frame rate when the game gets busy.

My comp spec (yes it is 7 years old)

Amd Athlon 3200 64 bit
1g ram 400mhz pc3200
Radeon 9800 pro iceq

I cant afford to upgrade my machine to a new system at present so i was looking at a replacement "agp" graphics card to try and improve the proformance a bit.

i was looking at these three cards but dont know weather they will ad much improvement over my current card.

HIS HD 4670 IceQ Edition

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 Pro

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3650

any advice would be great.

many thanks.

GaT7 14:27 27 Aug 09

Yes, you'll probably see a significant improvement with those cards, but it would be ideal to use in conjunction with a dual-core CPU if possible.

The 4670 is arguably be the best of the lot by a very slight margin over the 3850 - but at what price?

Apparently drivers aren't the best atm, but there's some 'ATI 9-8 AGP hotfix' available if you run into problems click here. G

retep888 16:03 27 Aug 09

You may find the HIS HD 4670 IceQ Edition won't fit your Mobo since it's a PCI-e gx card.

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 Pro is your best bet(AGP card only for your Mobo).

Add another GB of RAM may speed up your PC.

GaT7 16:08 27 Aug 09

"You may find the HIS HD 4670 IceQ Edition won't fit your Mobo since it's a PCI-e gx card." - retep888, they've now come out with a 4670 AGP card click here.

I agree, 1Gb extra systen RAM would be ideal too. G

GaT7 16:09 27 Aug 09

The link in my previous post also takes one to an AGP HIS 4670. G

retep888 16:19 27 Aug 09

WOW,thanks for telling me that,as I thought and being told sometime ago HD 3850 would be the last AGP card made.

pcnoob,if that's the case then Crossbow7's gx card suggestion stands.

GaT7 16:41 27 Aug 09

No problem retep888 :-).

pcnoob, it's interesting to read what PowerColor have to say in response to their AGP 4670 not working too well with WoW. Hopefully it's not all true! The 7600 mentioned is slightly better than a 9800 Pro btw. Anyway, from click here:

"Manufacturer Response: The AG4670 eclipses an Nvidia 7600 in all aspects of performance, there is no comparison at all. There has to be either some kind of driver issue or setting that might need tweaking. Have you checked performance in other games, or maybe even under 3DMark 2006?

Keep in mind that since World of Warcraft is an MMO, it's going to benefit much more from a faster CPU and higher memory bandwidth. The graphics engine on that game is a few years old now, so upgrading your graphics card isn't going to do a whole lot unless you're gaming at very high resolutions (1920x1200 and up).

Since the game is so CPU-bound, you're prone to being bottle necked a lot sooner. It's going to be especially more noticeable when taking such a big performance upgrade (7600 to a 4670). Feel free to contact me directly ([email protected]), I'd like to try and see if we can get this resolved for you. -Hugo"

G

chippy+ 17:42 27 Aug 09

hi
my daughter is having trouble with usb ports everything was ok until this morning when she pluged in her usb memory pen it came up not reconised all port were the same, i uninstalled them through device manager and restarted but no joy.the printer was connected through usb while i tried the pen drive, when i pulled out the the printer usb plug the pen drive works in any port but if the printer is plugged in the pen drives are not reconised. 1/ all ports work when the printer is disconnected 2/no ports are reconised when printer is connected eccept the one the printer is in can anyone help i have tried uningstalling the printer driver and reinstalling but no luck all ports show as working in device manager thanks Chippy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac