Graphics Card Help

buddiebuoy 12:11 21 Nov 07

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card - currently I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nforce 405 video adapter. I want to upgrade to 1GB GEFORCE 8500GT SUPER SLI. My PC has a PCI Express slot available and 1 GB RAM. Is there any reason why this card will not work with my current set up.

Thanks

buddiebuoy 12:12 21 Nov 07

Forgot to say processor is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ .

Thanks

Totally-braindead 12:26 21 Nov 07

The only reason it might have a problem is if the power supply you have in your PC is inadequate, otherwise it would be fine.
I have to point out the 8500 is a poor graphics card in my opinion and it really depends on why you are upgrading. I don't know if it having 1 gig of memory on board will make any real difference over a card with say 512mb or 256mb.

buddiebuoy 12:55 21 Nov 07

Thanks Totally-braindead.

Have got a few games now which are very slow as the current graphics card is the mimimum recommended for them. I do intend to increase the RAM as well.

umbongo(uk) 23:05 21 Nov 07

any card added to your system will show an increase as your using on board grafix(which is stealing computing proccese,s and memorey from your current config) and from experiance of testing the 6100 although gaming is as you say realy minimum
a card will give you 100%boost

note 8500gt is about the same as a 7600gs

but as you dont state whether your a casual gamer or wanting the best out of the £50.00 price bracket

id plump up an extra 14 quid and go for the 8600gt free delivery on this there are 2 other 86 cards but out of stock so if you dont mind waiting get one of those to save a few xtra quid
click here

and gaming will give you no headaches for quite awile as well as the card supporting new hd features and does perform admirably

note minimum power supply please check this before any card purchase

A minimum recommended 300W system power supply.
for 8500gt

A minimum recommended 350W system power supply.
for 8600gt

buddiebuoy 09:42 22 Nov 07

Thanks umbongo(uk),

A great help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…