Graphics Card help

Claire-265315 13:50 02 Sep 05

My graphics card appears to have died I get 8 POST beeps and it doesn't work in another comp either, it is GeForce2 MX400 64Mb. So I have two questions, firstly should I replace it with the same card or upgrade to something better, I don't play 3D games but do use the comp for CAD work. Secondly I can't boot the PC without it as the Mobo has no onboard graphics, so I don't know how I can uninstall the drivers for it before putting in a new card, as I understand it you are supposed to do this when replacing a graphics card? or is there a work round, any advice? Thanks.

LastChip 14:01 02 Sep 05

You can get really reasonably priced 128Mb cards now and if you're into CAD, you will see an improvement.

Just remove the old card, fit the new and on first boot-up, go into "Safe Mode". This will bypass your existing graphics drivers. You can then remove the old card via Device Manager, reboot and let Windows find the new card.

At this point be careful. Read the documentation with the card, because it may require you to tell Windows to ignore the card and then use the Graphics card manufacturers own installer to load the drivers correctly, or it may require Windows to do it's own thing. But either way, follow the manufacturers instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…