graphics card guidence

pete-290318 23:09 24 May 04

I have decided to treat myself to a new, semi-decent graphics card but I am getting bogged down by the number available.

Having looked at a few websites and working on a budget up to, or just over the £100 pound mark I cannot work out the best route to take.

Am I best going for a better chip and 128 mb ddr or a lesser chip and 256 mb ddr. Also there seems to be a difference in price by manufacturer using the same chips and memory size.

I've always been one for looking for a bargain and dont want to waste money so any help in deciding will be greatly welcomed.

My system is an elite Ks57a with athlon 2200xp with 512 pc2100 DDR and a nvidia 64mb graphics card.Lately I have been doing more gaming than anything else and although the latest games run very well on this system I thought the next thing to upgrade was my graphics card.

any Ideas?

pete.

Pikaser 23:38 24 May 04

What is the exact model of the graphics card you have at the moment?

pete-290318 23:52 24 May 04

present graphics card is an Nvidia Gforce2 64 Mb

I know that anything that I upgrade to will show a vast improvement but dont want to buy something that is too out of date on present day cards.

christmascracker 07:39 25 May 04

click here

I bought this one two weeks ago and well pleased with it

Totally-braindead 08:06 25 May 04

Looked at the one christmascracker recommends and its a good one at the price. I personally have the MSI FX5900XT and it cost £120, bought this one cos the Radeon 9800 Pro which I bought crashed my system all the time. Whether the card was actually faulty or if there is something on my computer that doesn't like ATI cards I don't know. Only advice I can give regarding this is, buy a card from a decent card manufacturer ie Gigabyte, MSI etc and for the money you have to spend stick to trying to get a 5900XT, the cards below this well, the 5900XT blows even the 5600 ultra out of the water, its a faster card. As a example of how fast this card is I finished FarCry which is the game that demands the fastest graphics at the moment and played it at 1280x720 and it didn't miss a beat. Hopefully my graphics card will last me a couple of years but as to this I'll have to wait and see. See if you can get PC Advisors recommended Gigabyte card hopefully you will be able to get that at about the £110 mark if you shop about.(it was number 5 in their charts if I remember rightly).

pete-290318 21:05 25 May 04

thank you I will go an have a look and try to come to a decision

thanks for your suggestions and I will close this thread seeing as I've just noticed that I now need guidance with my spelling

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now