Graphics card gone bang ! want another one.

Giantsquid 14:57 05 Apr 05

Hi All,

The Graphics on my comp started going downhill lately, and yesterday comp will only just boot up then a load of gobblygook comes on the screen then nothing no display at all.

Took the Graphics card out and the small fan was all manged up with fluff etc, after a good cleaning still the fan was not turning and after putting it back in the comp attempted to re-boot, same problem again, tried another graphics card (an old one) and it works fine but display is not that good.
So what is a good graphics card my motherboard is a AMD GA-71XE. or AMD751/756 chipset slot A processor Mainboad in a Aldi computer and it's been a good one up to now, can anyone recommend a good graphics card for this Motherboard ? while I am at it I will add some more memory, my son is games mad so it will have to be up to top end gameing and graphics, can anyone help and point me in the right direction on prices for memory and the graphics card,

many thanks,

Belatucadrus 15:30 05 Apr 05

Let them know what your budget is and the gaming crew will give you chapter and verse on the best card to suit your wallet.

Giantsquid 15:47 05 Apr 05

Anything up to about £100.00

thanks,

rubella 16:20 05 Apr 05

I doubt you’d be looking to exceed a 9800pro. £108.69 click here

Starfox 16:46 05 Apr 05

Theses are probably out of your price range but take a look anyway click here

The 6600Gt at £132-19 in v.a.t woul be good for gaming click here

Or another alternative for choices click here

You will require an AGP card whichever model you choose.

Giantsquid 17:01 05 Apr 05

Sorry forgot to mention that it was a Radeon 9600 TX that has gone bang version .100, is the 9800 pro much improved on my version, I don't mind paying a little more than 100 quid if the card is that good ?

thanks,

NinkyRudes 17:30 05 Apr 05

Try: click here

or: click here

or: click here

These are just three of 500 threads containing info about graphics cards - just use the search bar on the left of the screen.

My two cents here? Personal choice for under £100 would either be a midrange card from the current crop (e.g. nVidia's 6600 or equivalent), or a top range card from the last generation (nVidia's 5xxx series). The advantage of the latter is that many are now available overclocked (faster) out of the box.

NinkyRudes 17:38 05 Apr 05

The second link you provided has an MSI 6600GT listed at £115.09!

Admittedly it's a PCI-E card, and so unsuitable for Giantsquid, but that's the cheapest I've seen this chipset for, and I can wholeheartedly reccommend it as by far the most powerful card for the money.

Starfox 18:12 05 Apr 05

Are you sure NinkyRudes,I thought it was AGP :0)

OcUK GeForce 6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-005-C3)
Price: £112.50 (£132.19 Including VAT at 17.5%)

Starfox 18:14 05 Apr 05

Oh,see what you mean,third link - sorry.

Starfox 18:18 05 Apr 05

If your budget would run to it,and as NinkyRudes pointed out the OcUK 6600 GT at £132-19 in v.a.t would be the best card of all for your requirements.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…