graphics card fan broken

grumpy-git 19:29 21 Dec 08

Radeon x6oo pro 4 256mb

Had to get inside my Advent to remove a problematic hard drive. Took the opportunity to clean out the dust while the side was off, but the graphics card fan was jammed - and unfortunately broke as I tried to see what was obstructing it.

I know it's an old graphics card, but is it possible to get a replacement fan?

Priority at the moment is to see if I can clone or salvage the data on the hard drive. If I can, then next step is to repair or replace the graphics card.

Any tips please?

g-g

jack 22:03 21 Dec 08

I doubt that it can be repaired in situ - devices tend to be disposable.
So you could perchance acquire another small fan and put it to a spare power source and perhaps disable the card fan.
Otherwise - new fan with card attached

kindly 22:24 21 Dec 08

Hi Grumpy,
Sometimes the fan is soldered to the card. If your computer is nackered and you are just trying to get data of your hard drive, it might be best to use the hjard drive in another good machine and set it to "slave". Then you can retreive the files you need and save them then.
If the computer is ok then you can buy a graphics card very cheap if its not for games playing that is. A computer fair would be a good place to start. I got one from my local computer shop that was second hand but it does me ok and was very cheap.
I hope that helps you.

grumpy-git 22:33 21 Dec 08

Thanks Jack,

I'll see what fans Maplins & PCWorld have when I go for a new hard drive tomorrow. If I am able to get the c drive cloned & copied onto the new drive, or XP re-installed so the machine is usable again - I will then attend to the graphics card. Any testing in the meantime will make use of a hair dryer(no heat) aimed at the card!

g-g

grumpy-git 22:39 21 Dec 08

Thanks kindly,

The fan seems to be fixed to the card by 2 plastic looking "plugs" that go through the card, so it might come away without too much problem.

Apart from the hard drive & graphics fan, it's still a good pc, so I won't want to be chucking it just yet. I'll be going for simple/cheap solution.

Will keep you posted.

g-g

Belatucadrus 01:13 22 Dec 08

click here for the more expensive ones.
click here for a cheaper option.

keef66 11:54 22 Dec 08

easiest option is one of the Arctic Cooling aftermarket jobs Belatucadrus linked to. £10-£12 should see you right, and probably quieter and cooler than the original. Don't forget to use new thermal paste between the graphics chip and the cooler's heatsink

nosharpe 13:12 22 Dec 08

Why spend money on a fan when you can buy a new card for £25 if you don't need it for heavy games.

grumpy-git 15:54 22 Dec 08

Thanks nosharpe,

PCWorld & Maplins have nothing that I can see that would replace the original fan. As it was only a basic card in an Advent T9202 & I don't "do" games, maybe a replacement card would be a better solution. Must sort the hard drive problem now, just bought a replacement.

g-g

grumpy-git 17:20 24 Dec 08

C-drive replaced & XP re-installed without problems. All seems to be working again, so I'll get a replacement graphics card. Only used for editing photos so nothing expensive needed.

Should be end of problem now.

Cheers all, g-g

grumpy-git 22:39 29 Dec 08

Final comment here, new graphics card fitted, all working perfectly.

g-g

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009