Graphics card failing ?

heronviewer 20:32 27 Apr 06

When viewing a particular stationery email with animations, the animations work on half screen on all resolutions, but when I change to full screen, they don't work at all at 1280x1024 or 1152x864. They work slowly at 1024x768 and are OK at800x600.
My graphics card is a Gigabyte Radeon 9000 II 128Mb DDR. My display is a Sony SDM - HS95P TFT 19". My processor is a 2.2Gh Pentium 4 and I have 1Gb of memory.
Other people with lesser graphics cards don't have this problem, although some with them with smaller resolutions do have the same problem.
Do I have a failing graphics card ? What would a failing card do ?
Advice welcomed !
Robert.

dagwoood 22:01 27 Apr 06

Hi heronviewer. Has this just started to happen, or has it always had problems running animations at higher resolutions?

heronviewer 22:24 27 Apr 06

Thanks for replying.
It's happened before, but the content of the stationery emails varies so much it's difficult to be precise. My grandsons could play "Dawn of War" quite happily at Easter !
Is this the way a graphics card could fail - although it's a 128Mb card, it's operating at say 64Mb ? Or is that not possible ?
Regards,
Robert.

remind 22:29 27 Apr 06

If its just slowing down at higher resolutions and not crashing outright then its unlikely the gfx hardware/card is failing. Email animations are probably relying on .gif animation which doesn't require huge effort from your video hardware.
It depends what software you are using to view the stationery - email client, Office, standalone image software?

dagwoood 22:38 27 Apr 06

I agree with remind in that it doesn't sound like your card is failing. Graphics card failures are normally more dramatic.

Further to reminds query about what s/w you're using to view the stationery, as you have a LCD display, have you enabled Clear Type as this can have a big impact on 2D rendering?

heronviewer 10:22 28 Apr 06

Thanks for the replies.

The animation is a .gif one - not very large either. If I remember correctly, it's only about 6Kb. The script for that stationery makes the animation move around the screen while the animation is working. So there's more movement than that of the gif alone.

I'm using Outlook Express 6 with XP Home, SP2 installed and on automatic updates.

I've not heard of Clear Type, so it's probably not enabled if that's not the default. I'll see what I can find about that.

Regards,
Robert.

remind 10:29 28 Apr 06

It should be independent of your screen resolution, sounds more like your graphics card drivers need updating.
System information here; click here
NVidia and ATI drivers here (disable anti-virus before installing) click here
If you're using a Geforce2 or Geforce 440 NVidia card it may be best to visit the NVidia archive and get the 66.xx drivers, some of the older kit has problems with the latest drivers;
click here

heronviewer 10:34 28 Apr 06

I've enabled Clear Type and that makes no difference to the behaviour of the animation.
Does make text more difficult to read though, so I will probably revert !

My card is a Gigabyte Radeon 9000 II 128Mb DDR.

I'll see if I can find more up to date drivers.

Thanks.

Robert.

remind 10:40 28 Apr 06

ATI Catalyst at my second link

heronviewer 12:33 28 Apr 06

I've got 6-4_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_31959.exe which is the latest driver from that link.
Is that the correct one ?
Can I just install it on top of the existing one ?
Thanks,
Robert.

remind 14:20 28 Apr 06

Its generally recommended to remove the original drivers first, reboot, disable antivirus, install the new drivers, reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…