graphics card with dvi

grumpano 18:20 13 Aug 04

I have an Asus a7n266vm rev 1 mother board with an Nvida geforce 2 intergrated gpu (display adapter) And i want to change the graphics card for something with a dvi output. For my new tft monitor. Is this easy to do, And what card do you recomend ?
I dont play games on my pc..It's used mostley for surthing and photo elements

grumpano 19:21 13 Aug 04

Oh i forgot, the board has a agp*4 slot

johnsims 19:38 13 Aug 04

I bought a Connect 3D Radeon 9200 for under £40 from ebuyer. Like you I don't play any games that require an up to the minute graqphics set up. I also had as a priority SILENCE. I've spent a lot at quietpc getting my main machine silent and THE priority was a card without a fan.
It requires AGP2X or4X.

As to fitting it, it is reasonably easy. First steo is to uninstall the on-board graphics then turn off. Open the PC plug your nrw card in and reboot following the manufacturer's instructions about driver installation.

I bought a Connect 3D Radeon 9200 for under £40 from ebuyer. Like you I don't play any games that require an up to the minute graphics set up. I also had as a priority SILENCE. I've spent a lot at quietpc getting my main machine silent and THE priority was a card without a fan.
It requires AGP2X or4X.

As to fitting it, it is reasonably easy. First steo is to uninstall the on-board graphics then turn off. Open the PC plug your nrw card in and reboot following the manufacturer's instructions about driver installation.

I bought a Connect 3D Radeon 9200 for under £40 from ebuyer. Like you I don't play any games that require an up to the minute graphics set up. I also had as a priority SILENCE. I've spent a lot at quietpc getting my main machine silent and THE priority was a card without a fan.
It requires AGP2X or4X.

As to fitting it, it is reasonably easy. First steo is to uninstall the on-board graphics then turn off. Open the PC plug your new card in and reboot following the manufacturer's instructions about driver installation.

johnsims 19:41 13 Aug 04

Sorry about the multiple posts, I was correcting some spelling errors and didn't realise the post had taken place.

As an addendum, the card will run in either AGP 4X or AGP 8X according to the box

grumpano 19:50 13 Aug 04

How do you uninstall the on board graphics

johnsims 22:08 13 Aug 04

In XP: Start - Control Panel - System. Under the HArdware Tab click on Device Manager. From the list click on the plus sign to the left of "Display Adapter" A line describing the adapter "Nvidia something.... " will show. Right click on that line and select Properties. Under the Driver Tab click on the uninstall button. Thats it. Shut down, open the machine and put your new card in. Make sure you discharge any static from your body by touchin a bare metal part of the case before handling any components.

jamiebrk 05:14 14 Aug 04

grumpano just press the delete button when computer boots up and turn it of in the bios. then put in your new card make sure you have a card that works becuase once you turn of your on board you need your agp card in there to turn on compter. Johnsims is right put it wont shut down the on board probly need to change it it the bios

Dorsai 08:04 14 Aug 04

When handeling the new gfx card, try and only touch the edges of the card, and the metal bracket that the monitor conntector pokes out of. avoid touching the edge that has the connectors on (where it plugs into the mobo.)

remember to pull the power plug out of the pc, and wait 10 or so mins for any capacitors in the PSU to discharge, as many modern mobo's have a maintenance power supply (5 volts if i remember) even when the PC is off and the mains is on. it's unlikely to harm you, but may damage the board plugging things in when parts of the mobo are still powered up.

A never used AGP slot can be very very stiff when inserting a gfx card for the first time. When i build a new pc i always insert the gfx card and remove it a couple of times, on a table with folded tea-towl under, before i put the mobo in the case. this sort of 'breaks in' the agp slot, and as the mobo is well supported there is little danger of snapping the mobo.

johnsims 08:06 14 Aug 04

This sounds fine in theory, but if a motherboard has an on board graphics chip and an AGP slot, it will autodetect the presence of an AGP card and not attempt to use the on board chip.

If you uninstall the on board chip drivers via device manager, windows will start, but will use the inbuilt default windows graphics drivers at 600 X 400. You do NOT need your AGP card "in there to turn on computer".

In one of my PCs I have on board Nvidia GPU on an Abit NF7 mobo. There is no facility in the bios to "turn off" the on board graphics, but the on board chip does not provide the graphics unless and until you install the drivers.

grampiano

By all means check you bios for this, but don't change any settings unless you are certain that it should be done. Refer to you motherboard manual and check, but I think it highly unlikely that there will be a GPU "on/off setting"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…