Graphics card driver and XP problems

Logov 15:29 08 Apr 03

I have a 7500 64MB ATI Radeon VE DDR Chipset AGP Graphics Card which was running perfectly under Windows XP that is until I had to reinstall XP after my son had inadvertantly deleted a small programme. Obviously I had to reinstall the drivers for the hardware too. This went fine until I tried reinstalling the ATI driver. Windows appears to dispute the driver is correct to the card and subsequently halts installation with the error message: "Setup was unable to complete the installation". I have also downloaded the exact driver from ATI's website just in case but the result is the same. I don't understand why this should be the case after successfully installing the card and its driver first time round. Any ideas, I'm stumped.

Scouse 15:52 08 Apr 03

A very good Advert for System Restore!

Sorry

Scouse

Logov 16:04 08 Apr 03

Tried system restore three times before re-installing XP - it failed every time.

A Cat Called George 16:08 08 Apr 03

Also a good advert for giving kids a separate logon under Windows XP and restricting what they can access and do!

JFT 17:25 08 Apr 03

It sounds as though your drivers cant reinstall because you still have remenants of your original driver installation still on your computer.Try checking Add/Remove programs in control panel to see if the drivers are there and remove them before reinstalling them again. If that fails you can try using a driver cleaner program to remove them completly.
It sounds like your drivers wont install because of the remenants of your initial installation are still on your computer.
PS im not sure where you would get a driver cleaner for ATI as i only have the URL for an nVidia site.
Hope this helps a bit!
JFT

Logov 18:07 08 Apr 03

Tried that JFT but I'm still getting the same error message thanks for your response though.

If you haven't done so already, you could try removing the display adaptor from device manager then reboot. Windows should detect the card as new hardware after which you can go through the installation process.

Hope this helps.

Jordanjunkie 18:54 08 Apr 03

JamesF is sound advice this should make XP identify the new card and then reinstall the driver from the file. You could also check the device manager in case of conflict. ATI cards can be a bit dodgy, I stick with NVidia - cards are really cheap these days!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…