graphics card display problem

zoomer 17:45 02 Oct 03

I have had a Chaintech 128mbDDR GeForce 3 Ti 200 displaying on a cheapo 15in monitor for over a year now and lways thought that the text etc looked a tad fuzzy but I attributed thta to the monitor, however I just used it with an Iiyama monitor which is superb with a 32mb Riva TNT,and I cant get it to display properly, text is blurred with a kind of hue around it etc, it is very noticeable, I have tried different drivers adjusting the monitor (moire etc) but to no avail, also a friend said he had the exact same problem with a GeForce card......anyone any thoughts?

Diemmess 17:53 02 Oct 03

If I understand correctly, you have proved by substitution that the monitor is the culprit and not the card. Seems time to think of a better monitor.

Rayuk 17:59 02 Oct 03

I think you have it the wrong way round there,it maybe shows the graphics card is below par.

DieSse 18:02 02 Oct 03

"anyone any thoughts?"

Yup - think you've got a bad card - nothing to do with it being a GForce card, just that particular one.

I supply loads of GeForce cards of all models, and they're all fine apart from the odd one (very rare, but it happens)

Diemmess - no, think he's proved it's not the monitor - same on two different ones.

zoomer 18:52 02 Oct 03

yes methinks its definetely not the monitor, odd that an immediate friend had the same problem albeit with a different brand of GeForce. Thought perhaps there were known issues, thanks for the replies though I`m a tad miffed that a £100 card is dud.......

Diemmess 14:49 03 Oct 03

At least you more clear-headed wizards did.

All I can add (feebly) now is that in my view, unless you are into intensive games, a quite modest card with a GOOD monitor is, to me at least difficult to tell from an outfit with a fancy and expensive video card. ...... So why not try a friend's cast off card just for comparison?

Jester2K II 14:58 03 Oct 03

What version WIndows?

Jester2K II 15:04 03 Oct 03

If on Win XP try this.

Right click desktop, Properties, Appearance, Effects, Make sure the "...method to smooth edges of screen fonts" is set to standard.

If its set to Clear Type I find it slightly fuzzy....

zoomer 16:00 03 Oct 03

thanks for the replies, looks like the card is faulty.... at the same settings the RIVA TNT displays superbly.......the GeForce is definetely quite bad, I mean its not just soemthing you need to look for, it is noticeable and very uncomfortable to view rendering it useless.
I called Scan who i got the card from last May(chancing my arm), they said nope its out of warranty try manufacturer..(well after three calls and three completely diferent responses)...anyway Chaintech apparently have an 18 month warranty on their vga cards.........so at least I have a chance of gettign a result.........though I`m sure it will be convoluted..........many thanks again folks, Ian

zoomer 16:01 03 Oct 03

oops and yes it on XP-Pro........

zoomer 18:31 03 Oct 03

aaaaaand just to update, called Chaintech again and apparently they DO have an 18 month warranty on their VGA cards, however this is applied to who they sell them to.......so Scan(who I got it from) get an 18 month warranty and rathr meanly it appears pass a 12 month warranty on to us........however even though technically I have no right to a replacement/support the nice folks at Chaintech have agreed to take the card back as this is a genuine case etc and they obviously can excercise discretion.Knowledgeable chap at Chaintech informed me that there was a known issue with a small amount of cards and certain monitors (EMC issue apparently) So in summary I have to send back the card etc.......I would of course by another Chaintech product as I have been re-assured that their support is both fair and good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…