Graphics Card for Dell Dimension 5100

FGP 16:59 08 Jul 08

Hi,

I've got a 3.2 ghz p4 (2GB Ram) Dell and I want to get a decent graphics card so that i can play the odd decent game on it. I was looking at either the:

Radeon HD 3850 256MB or
NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB

they seem to be recommended on a few sites and the price of about £85-£100 is what i want to spend.

However, i've seen issues relating to my PSU, that suggests my computer might not be up to handling them. is that correct? Are there any issues a 'non gaming' pc like mine might have when getting a good graphics card that i don't know about?

any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

citadel 18:08 08 Jul 08

you will have to have a look at the psu, there is info on the side of it, you will have probably have to realease it from the case, just 4 screws, be careful not to drop it onto the motherboard. switch power off and and remove plug at the back of it before you start. if it is 300w or 400w it is not enough for a decent graphics card.

FGP 18:22 08 Jul 08

it's max power of 305w. so I'm guessing too weak? what ideally should i get to replace it?

citadel 18:38 08 Jul 08

if your dell can fit a normal atx size psu a 600w would be good, with psu's the more you can afford to pay the better quality you get, nothing under £40. the cheap £10 ones can cause the graphics card to crash duing games as thet can not maintain stable power to the card.

FGP 18:49 08 Jul 08

Thanks citadel. You've been great help

Dragon_Heart 04:24 09 Jul 08

Check the ATI Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce websites for the minimum PC specs for the cards including the card slot type required.

If you have a large monitor with a decent resolution you can always reduce the frame rate slightly or the colour depth if you do have problems.

Dedicated Graphic cards can run 'independently' of the main CPU so there should be no problems.

Your main concern should be your power supply, for example the Radeon will need a minimum of 450 Watt or greater with 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector

crosstrainer 06:20 09 Jul 08

Best to check space inside your case as well, the new PCIE cards are large, and require an extra power connection from the PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…