graphics card dead or alive?

fishmeister 11:02 AM 08 Jun 11

Started having issies with my pc this week and I am hopeing someone can point me in the right direction before I blow any money.

When watching videos the screen freezes, only way to exit is to boot the pc But it then come back with a blue screen and a load of message (sorry didn't read them). Then says I have had an issue (black screen) and to restart pc Restart takes place and goes back to step above.

To get out of this cycle I press F8 at restart and do rollback to a couple of weeks ago and all is fine, untill I view a video and the back to freeze screen lol.

So a few questions I am looking for help with please.

1, I guess the graphics card has died?, how do I check this before I buy a new one. 2, If I buy the same card GeForce 8300GS can I simply switch then and carry on. 3, will my PC only be compatible with certain cards? 4, will I have to do a full systyem restore following instalation (backing up files now lol) 5, any other things you can think of that may be the problem or may caus me issues.

Any help greatly appreciated (pc is a dell inspiron 530)

Cheers Paul.

lotvic 11:37 AM 08 Jun 11

Just posting so that the big grey tick will appear on the right for you to click on and turn it green to close this thread as replies are all on duplicate thread ClickHere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know