Graphics card conundrum

Hrosir 20:38 26 Feb 05

Having installed my FX 5500oc card onto an MSI KT6V Motherboard and using an Athlon XP2800, everything seemed fine, until that is, I tried playing Children of the Nile. All was fine for the first minute until suddenly the prog hung and nothing would revive it. All the intro graphics play ok but as soon as action is required the system just shuts down and reboots. My graphics card seems to be working ok but obviously all is not well. I do not want to mess with the bios for obvious reasons but I am at a loss as to how to proceed. I have tried updating the graphics drivers and updated Directx but to no avail. My system has 1GB of RAM and this should not be a problem, any suggestions please

howard60 22:19 26 Feb 05

I have encountered a similar problem and it turned out to be that the bios was set to pci graphics card and it had installed an agp. Once this was corrected no further problems.

Totally-braindead 22:24 26 Feb 05

I had a similar problem and it turned out the card was faulty, only discovered this was definately the case by trying it in another computer. I spent nearly 2 weeks before this trying to find out what was wrong even replaced the power supply!

JonnyTub 22:32 26 Feb 05

so many things to could be wrong here.

First step is checking out howard60's point, if your bios is set to use onboard then that would definetly cause the problems your'e seeing.

Secondly, a driver issue: download the most up to date driver for the card, uninstall the previous one and reinstall the new one.

thirdly: from your post i see the small letters oc, i presume this means overclocked, reduce the clock speed to default and try again.

good luck

citadel 23:17 26 Feb 05

It could be the game causing the problem, if there is a forum for this game you could see if the same thing is happening to other people.

Hrosir 11:06 27 Feb 05

The Graphics card is an AGP version and from the bios it would appear top be set correctly. I presume that the card would self detect and all settings that were relevant would auto set?

handy4x 12:17 27 Feb 05

try useing the lowest screen resolution you can and see if it plays also install the latest drivers if poss is the graphics card supoted by the game?

The Sack 13:34 27 Feb 05

That has no bairing on whether the card will work or not, thats just sets the order for the BIOS to check which slot has a card in not which one you are actualy using

howard60 15:58 27 Feb 05

The Sack - I dont wish to put you down but with that particular mobo [foxcon] and the ati radeon card after initial post when everything looked ok the screen would go black and the system had to be rebooted. Once the bios was changed to show an agp card installed and not a pci card no further problems were encountered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…