Graphics card choice - MEG v MHZ ?

dagbladet 19:29 27 Dec 05

My daughter was dissapointed to find that her Sims2 expansion packs crashed my machine. I've got a bit over the minimum specs and a shade over the recommended specs. I've downloaded patches, updated the mobo chipset and dvr's, updated the graphic card dvr's, updated the sound dvr's, rolled back all of the above, run dx-diag, un-installed, re-installed, sworn, seriously considered dipping the cats tail into my coffee when it jumped on the keyboard....suffice to say i'm all out of ideas. Sims forum boards suggest that this is a common problem with no definitive answer (although, "make sure you have the latest drivers" is a common theme). I'm now considering upgrading the graphics card, and this brings me to my problem. I just sort of assumed that more megabytes = more money. Not so apparently. I can find a 256m card for £40 and a 128m for £100. There is obviously another element to this. Can anybody advise me please. To save time my machine spec is here click here I'm looking to spend about £40-50 on card and get another 512 of RAM. Thanks.

dagbladet 20:31 27 Dec 05

^

Skyver 21:18 27 Dec 05

Surprised nobody's answered this, usually people fall over themselves to advise with questions of this nature :)
Do you get any kind of error message before the crash, or any other possibly useful info?
The price of the cards is more dependent on the power /modernity of the card or chipset than the amount of memory - I don't know enough about ATI cards to recommend one, but you can get an NVidia 6xxx based card for between £50 and £120 (depending on the model and spec). Ignore the older 5xxx series cards. Something like this may fit the bill click here
For memory go here click here

handy4x 21:26 27 Dec 05

you may be limited by budget so if you go for ati you can get a 9600 card although old is still good
plays most games if the srtings are turned down to low

SG Atlantis® 21:26 27 Dec 05

THE 6200 although not the fastest card, I can play all the sims 2 games, nightlife, university and the xmas party one (missus costing me a fortune on these things) with it no problem. I can play more demanding games like FEAR on medium detail. This is an ok for the money card.

dagbladet 21:33 27 Dec 05

Thanks for answering all. There is no warning to the crashes. The sound just jams like a stuck record ad infinitum. Usually the game visual part of the game will keep going for a while. However, most often I will have to hold the power button in for 10 and re-boot as everything has locked up. I have seen A 9550 for £40 but started to get confused between RAM, and chipsets etc. I don't really know what I should be buying except to say that the budget is £50.

dagbladet 21:34 27 Dec 05

Sorry, that is a RADEON 9550

256MB DDR.

SG Atlantis® 21:37 27 Dec 05

I can vouch for the nvidia 6200 256 card. It came in my compaq and it hasn't crashed yet!

007al 21:39 27 Dec 05

For around the £50 mark click here

Skyver 21:42 27 Dec 05

Not much help to you regarding crash info is it...as I say, I can't advise on the ATI stuff - as long as it supports DX9 and v2.0 pixel shaders, it's not worth buying a brand new card that doesn't handle those. I know the Nvidia 6xxx and above support it, but I can never remember the numbers when it comes to ATI cards. Perhaps handy4x can enlighten you more on that front.

dagbladet 21:44 27 Dec 05

See this is where i'm not 'getting' graphics cards. The one in 007's link is a 6200, 256 meg card. The one that SGA is talking about is a 6200 256. Is it just a better/lesser brand thing like say a 256 meg SD memory card, or is there a lot more to it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…