Graphics card boost vs. new rig

JimmyGerrard 18:38 01 Feb 09

Chaps, I am currently in the process of building a home simulator for proceedures as part of my pilot training. My current system spec is as follows:

Dell Inspiron 531

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000 +

2.61 gHZ

2046MB Ram

Nvidia 8800GT

Windows Experience Index rating of 5.2 out of 10.

Now I have recently introduced a Matrox Triple Head 2 Go in to the mix, so the gaming image is now dragged accross three 22" monitors. Needless to say my in-game performance has really suffered; all the settings are pretty much on minimal and it's kind of defeating the object of putting the sim together...

So I am now thinking of taking out my old 8800GT 512MB and sticking in a real high-end card like a 1GB GTX280. This card is £300+, which is almost as much as I paid for the bloomin PC.

I therefore cannot devise what my best strategy will be for a big performance boost; go all out for the best card I can get, or build a better complete machine with a slightly lower-end card like an Nividia 9 series GTS/X which I can pick up for £120.00?

If it's the latter, how much will I have to spend to build something that will run the game on reasonably high settings? FSX is notoriously hard to run with the high settings, but any PC I build will be solely for FSX, and won't have anything else on it.

Any advice MOST appreciated.

Cheers

MAT ALAN 18:42 01 Feb 09

click here

some good info here, it may help...

JimmyGerrard 18:46 01 Feb 09

Thanks Mat, but I didn't see mention of the TH2GO and the effect it has on my machine as a whole. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…