Graphics Card/On-board

bairn2001 15:58 11 Oct 06

I have recently put in a AGP Graphics card with 128Mb of DDR RAM on it. The reason I did so was to increase the quality of my TV viewing through my Hauppage TV Card. Although picture quality is better, i feel it could be better still.
I have WinXP Home, with 256Mb RAM, and no virus scanner/Firewall, as I do not bother with internet on it.
I never use other applications at the same time at watching TV. Could it be that the on-board graphics have not been disabled, if so how do I do it, I cannot see it in device manager. Do I need to do anything in the BIOS regarding the new graphics card?

Thanks,
Bairn.

Strawballs 16:01 11 Oct 06

Have you transfered the cable that connects your monitor to the graphics card from the onboard?

ACOLYTE 16:07 11 Oct 06

When you fit a new card the onboard should disable itself,but somtimes you need to enter the bios and disable it manualy.

Im not sure on the picture quality,this may be a result of the TV signal strenth to the card and cpu type you have as well as the graffix card.

Also 256Mb ram for XP is about the minimum you should have,im not sure it would increase the picture quality but it would speed up you pc if you added more.

HTH

ed-0 17:45 11 Oct 06

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete together. This willopen windows task manager.

Look under the performance tab, scroll down to Physical Memory (K)

Is the total 256000 or near that?

If it is, your ram has been freed.

better if you use another 256Mb, this would take it to 512Mb. Even more is better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced