Graphics card advice for an Advent 3115 PC

GMar205299 17:35 14 Dec 05

I have an Advent 3115 PC and want to upgrade my graphics card to a higher spec GeForce graphics card. I would like to know which cards will run on my PC. My current PC spec is:-

CPU: AMD Athlon XP2600+
BIOS: Pheonix-Award BIOS
Motherboard: L7VTM VIA KT400
Memory: 512MB DDR RAM - PC2100
Hard Drive: 60GB UDMA
Video Card: nVidia Geforce4 MX 440-SE 64MB TV-Out
Sound Card: VIA VT1612A

Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

GaT7 20:44 14 Dec 05

It's an AGP 8x motherboard click here.

What's your budget, what games are you going to play & what's the PC's power supply (PSU) rating in watts?

One way to begin is to run the Crucial g'card advisor scan tool click here, another is to choose one of these (sorted in ascending prices) click here, using the options/fields in the left column to narrow down your search based on budget, etc. G

Totally-braindead 20:52 14 Dec 05

It will take any AGP graphics card, as Crossbow7says more info is required as to what you want to do with it ie play games and how much you want to spend £50, £75, £100 more? The power supply bit is important as newer graphics cards require more power than they can get from the AGP port and therefore have a connector to take power fron the power supply, if you have a low rated power supply you will probably need to buy a new one.

GMar205299 21:25 14 Dec 05

My budget is £50 to £70. Games to play include Civ IV and Doom 3. I am unsure how to find out what my Power Suply rating is.

Totally-braindead 21:28 14 Dec 05

If you take off the side panel of your PC and look at the label it will tell you, it may be 250 watts or even 350 watts.

Totally-braindead 21:35 14 Dec 05

This is a reasonable budget card click here= and should play both games you mention but you may be better buying a bit better and I'm sure someone will advise better than I can.

GMar205299 21:57 14 Dec 05

The Power Supply rating is 250W

GaT7 22:17 14 Dec 05

You may well require a more powerful one.

I'd say a 9800 Pro would give you the best bang for your buck - if you don't mind secondhand that is click here (if you're an eBayer click here).

Otherwise, a brand new 9600XT would be one of the best for your budget click here.

Article & benchmarks click here & click here.

Note that all the above, except Totally-braindead's suggestion, are ATI Radeon based. G

Totally-braindead 22:49 14 Dec 05

The 9800Pro is a good card but I for one find that non branded cards do not seem to be as good as branded ones. I personally think its better to buy a branded card such as MSI, Sapphire, Gigabyte etc. If you power supply is a 250 watt you will definatly need a new one, have a look at this for a cheap one click here , they do have slighlt cheaper ones as well but you're better having a bit too much power than too little. For a graphics card 9600XT click here or the 5600 I listed earlier. If you have installed a graphics card before then I suggest you have a look at something like this click here its easy enough to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…