Graphics Card Advice

I know this question has been raised many times on this forum but I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to one which conforms to the following criteria:

128MB RAM
DirectX 9 support
AGP4X compatable

The Radeon cards look attractive but I believe that all of the cards that support DX9 are AGP8X and I'm not sure if they will work with a board that only supports 4X because of different operating voltages.

I do understand that I will not get the full benefit of 8X with a 4X board but I don't want to replace my board at this stage as I only purchased a new one about 5 months ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

mcullum_DX4Life 23:37 17 Feb 03

get a Radeon 9700 "normal edition" around £180 and the only difference between them and the £260 Pro version is the clock speeds (which could of course be fixed with sum overclocking). DX9 and superior performance to anything else at the moment (well the GFFX aint exactly in the retail channels yet is it???) ;)

Totally-braindead 23:41 17 Feb 03

James F, I have not heard of the different operating voltages before. I do know that 8X graphics cards will work on 4X boards though. I also believe that the ATI cards are the only ones on the market at present that provide DirectX 9 support although I'm certain that will change. I'm sure someone else will be able to clarify the voltage thing.
PS I've got a Radeon 9000, not exactly state of the art but a reasonable budget card and it runs everything I have at 1024x768 with no probs, and mines only a 64mb one. Processor Athlon 1600+

Thanks mcullum_DX4Life but will cards with this chip work with an AGP4X board. I have found that there is no information on any of the manufacturers web sites about the issue of voltages.

A similar quetion has been raised before but no conclusive answer was given for the reason I mentioneed above.

powerless 23:47 17 Feb 03

It will work.

Phone, email the manufacturer of the card, they should tel you.

Hi Totally-braindead and thanks for your input. Didn't get to read your message before posting my response.

The issue of voltages was brought up by another forum member and it was this that has given me possible cause for cncern as I don't want to blow a brand new card although I have to confess that I have not read about this anywhere else.

Rayuk 19:01 18 Feb 03

click here
May help re voltages

Rayuk 19:06 18 Feb 03

Basically
AGP 1.0 is 3.3volts
AGP 2.0 is 1.5volts
As your motherboard is only a few months old odds on its AGP 2.0
Check with your manual see if it states agp version.

Thanks Rayuk.

The motherboard manual is not conclusive as it states that the board MAY come with an AGP Pro socket. Will have to take a look inside.

I have decided on the Radeon 9700 (normal version) as suggested by mcullum_DX4Life. I spoke with the manufacturer, Sapphire and was advised that this card will work with an AGP 4X board.

My only concern now is whether the card will work with my 300W PSU. Suppose I will wait and see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…