Graphics card

dalimena 21:09 21 Jul 06

Advice needed please. I have a Packard Bell iconnect pc with 20gb hard drive, 512mb ram,using NTL 4meg BB connaction. The computer flies and is no problem. The thing is that i want to install and use Google earth, but i dont think my current graphics will let it be used. It has an intel (r)82810 graphics controller. I assumr this is built into the motherboard?, My question is can i use a PCI graphic s card to replace this as google earth requires 32bit and my settings say i only have Medium 16 bit and high 24 bit. I am looking at something like a 128 card will this be ok?.

Gongoozler 21:16 21 Jul 06

Does your Packard Bell have an AGP slot?

dalimena 21:18 21 Jul 06

Gongoozler which is AGP slot?

.:?:. 21:21 21 Jul 06

an AGP slot would normally be brown, and above the white PCI slots, and set slightly back from them.

dalimena 21:24 21 Jul 06

Yes i think i have one of those although at present my modem card is in it, but it is not in use as i have ethernet to usb bb with ntl. it is the one i presume about the third of the length of a PCI card slot?. I have a Houston motherboard if that helps.

.:?:. 21:28 21 Jul 06

NO, that is a different slot, can't remeber what it is called tho!

An AGP slot is similar size to a PCI slot, and would be above the PCI cards. AGP slots also have a pin at the end that secures the graphics card to the motherboard/slot.

.:?:. 21:28 21 Jul 06

...forgot to say..

it may not be brown, could be a different colour

dalimena 21:34 21 Jul 06

In that case no i havnt got one of those. It must be around 5 yrs old my pc but still in excellent order but maybe before they started fitting these agp slots.Can i not use a card that uses a PCI slot?

dalimena 21:51 21 Jul 06

Help still needed please.

woodchip 21:59 21 Jul 06

If it's a Modem card in it It's called a Riser slot cnr For a Modem or Sound and network, It is only a short slot a AGP slot is Brown and about the same length as your PCI white slots. But it's not inline with them. Also AGP as different Volts so you have to get the correct card. A PCI will Do if you can Get one

dalimena 22:04 21 Jul 06

Thanks for that ill look at around a 128 mb graphics PCI card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5