Graphics asking for more power

drew645 12:47 29 Feb 08

I have a Geforce8800GT 256mb and it has given me several messages saying quality will be reduced as insufficent power is being received.
The PSU is 500watts and the graphics card's own power cable is securely connected.
The specs are E8400 overclocked to 3.6G, XP SP2,4G ram (although I think XP recognises a max of about 3G) and masses of hard dik space free.
The messages are received during normal usage without any graphic intensive needs.
However what really confuses me is I can run Crysis at medium settings without anti-aliasing which seems about right for this card.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Regards
Andrew

crosstrainer 12:50 29 Feb 08

A driver error, your psu is well up to the job... try downloading and installing the latest Nvidia drivers from:

click here

make sure you have selected correct os and card.

Armchair 13:59 29 Feb 08

What make of PSU is it? It isn't one of those £20 no-name jobbies, is it?

crosstrainer 14:34 29 Feb 08

As Armchair has pointed out, a poor quality 500W psu could be your problem...Might say 500W but not be outputting anything near that. Always go for branded PSU's as they are a very important part of your system.

If you can get hold of another one try it in your PC to see if the message disappears....If so, you need a good quality PSU replacement.

GaT7 16:54 29 Feb 08

Also try swapping the power connector with another just to rule out a problem with that particular one. On the other hand, if the connector on the card is faulty, then no amount of power or better PSU is going to help.

"The messages are received during normal usage without any graphic intensive needs....However what really confuses me is I can run Crysis at medium settings..." - are you saying there's NO issue whilst playing games? G

wotbus@ 17:10 29 Feb 08

And don't forget the power requirements of all the other stuff...
Check this out: click here
May be of some use.

drew645 12:33 02 Mar 08

Have tried downloading drivers as suggested, seems to be fine now.
Thanks to all for advice.
Regards
Andrew

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…