Graphics advice please

TRADAVANG 20:03 26 Nov 07

Hi all, looking to buy new pc with Intel CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 processor, nForce 650i SLI ASUS P5N-E SLI DUAL PCI-Express Motherboard, 4096MB (4GB) DDR2 800Mhz PC6400 RAM Memory, but need help with graphics card... 1 pc comes with a ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO 1GB the other with 2 x nVidia 8500GT 512MB silent version Both SLI PCI-E Cards.
Which would you recommend and why????????

Gamer555 21:08 26 Nov 07

8500gt SLI. Faster, quieter, uses less power and all round, the better card!

keef66 21:34 26 Nov 07

do you intend to use it for latest games? If so I would recommend neither, but instead go for a single 8800GT card

TRADAVANG 21:43 26 Nov 07

I'm not a big gamer but was hoping to use it for some like call of duty 4.If these r no good what would you recommend in the same price range?

Totally-braindead 23:31 26 Nov 07

8500GT is a poor card, the 8800GT is far superior.

Gamer555 08:45 27 Nov 07

Well, the 8500gt's are about £55 each. So 2 of them is £110. With £110 you are better off saving up £65 and doing what everyone else say, get one 8800gt. At the moment they are around £175.

click here

johnwillyums 20:18 27 Dec 07

I have an almost identical pc as TRADAVANG and am dual booting Vista 64x and Ubuntu 7.10 64x.
This is perhaps a bit ambitious as I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to computers.
However I've been using the machine for about three months and things are going well as I've found people on forums most helpful (especially Ubuntu)
I currently have a 8600GT GPU and this is fine for Vista Aero etc but I don't feel confidant that it will play the new games very well (Crysis, Bioshock etc.)
Consequently I was thinking of upgrading to a 8800GT so I have some questions;
Is it worth doing?
Is it easy to install?
Is it compatible with my board (P5N-E SLI)?
Will it fit into my Thermaltake Tsunami case(I understand it's longer than other cards)

I know this is a big ask but can anyone advise me?
Thanks, johnwillyums

keef66 15:40 02 Jan 08

If you want to play Crysis and Bioshock then the answers are:
yes
yes
yes and
yes

Make sure your psu is up to the job, and download the latest, relevant drivers

johnwillyums 22:08 21 Jan 08

Thanks Keef66. As I said my pc is almost identical to Travadang's, same mobo, cpu, 4 gig of RAM etc. I've been looking at Asus and nVidia forums and there seems to be issues with RAM recognition which involve disconnecting 3 of the 4 gig cards plus something about "flashing" the BIOS.
That's pretty much Dutch to me. I've never even been inside the case so can you point me at some simple instructions?
Also I was looking at the Asus "TOP" overclocked 8800GT is this worth the extra and would I need to overclock my CPU?
Once again a pointer to some instructions would be great.
I suppose I need reassurance that I can do this plus instructions. I don't want to buy the card and mess up my lovely system.
Thanks very much for your help, johnwillyums
By the way my PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 650 watt

keef66 10:31 22 Jan 08

Your psu sounds just fine. If you go for the overclocked card it will be a bit quicker than the standard offering, and no, you don't need to overclock the cpu.
There must be some videos / tutorials somewhere on the web. Difficult to do too much browsing here at work; I'll have a look tonight.

DrScott 12:23 22 Jan 08

is everyone buying 4GB of RAM at the moment?

32 bit software will not use anything like this amount of RAM - just over 3GB is all it can recognise, and that includes CPU RAM.

But the 8800GT is the only videocard really worth looking at - either the 256 of 512 MB version depending on your monitor and budget.

The BFG 8800GT overclocked version is Custom PCs best buy at the moment.

Installing only involves reading the motherboard manual and slotting it into the PCI-E port.

Your PSU will be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…