Graphical Errors causing PC not to function

First, a bit of background. I was playing a game on my computer one day, and all of a sudden, the screen becomes filled with thin vertical bars of the same colour that my mouse cursor was hovering over. I'd seen this problem before, and simply forced shutdown. When I turn it on after the force shutdown, the screen is chaos.

The first part that appears is two columns of horizontal red lines about 2 inches long (on a 24 inch, 1920*1080 monitor). They seem to be moving, though is just two images switching back and forth. The second is the same, but with horizontal dark yellow dashed lines moving left and right, littered all around the screen. The third part is just a black screen, which does not change any further. It is usually at this point I must force shut down.

Sometimes, quite rarely, it will start to boot normally, though still with severe graphical issues like a pale screen with random lines of red and dark yellow. Even rarer, it will go into windows recovery without distortion.

I have been able to restore it to normal again after around 3 hours of reseating and experimenting with different PCI-E slots, but the moment I open a program, it happens again.

I am confused, annoyed and frustrated at my computer.

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V

RAM: 8Gb (2*4) corsair vengeance

GPU: AMD Radeon R7900 series

CPU: Intel I7 2400 (I think)

lotvic 19:49 04 May 16

Possibly GPU card overheating. I had similar on a previous pc (now a spare) however I found it displayed ok if I took side off tower and had a desktop room fan blowing on it. I'm sure there is a more sophisticated way to diagnose overheating, but the room fan has worked for me for past 18 months. LOL

Devil Fish 22:19 04 May 16

if the game you refer to is far cry primal had this issue myself was resolved by upgrading to latest drivers for my card GTX770.If you have done that refer to lotvic post above

Okay, I tried some fixes, switching the PCIe slots etc. I realized that the VGA_LED didn't go out, signalling a GPU problem. I doubt it is overheating, since whilst it is on, the internal case heat is only 19 degrees C.

Also, the game was Europa Universalis 4, though I've gotten the problem before for opening file explorer, or opening Chrome.

The rare occasions where I can get it to work, I managed to do a clean uninstall of my graphics drivers, and I had no further problems. Then, I tried installing the latest graphics drivers, and it had the same crash as before whilst installing.

Okay, I fixed it. Turns out one of the RAM sticks and my GPU were broken. I don't know how, but neither seem to work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017