Graphic Cards - advice

Bodi 08:47 21 Jun 03

I am contemplating buying another graphics card to replace my Matrox Millennium G450 (32MB)which has been a reliable steady card.

I am not into gaming and do not want to spend more than £100.00 for the replacement.

It must be suitable for photographic work and MUST, above all, be reliable and easy to install.

It will, when I take off the blindfold from my piggy bank, probably be used with an Asus A7V8X raid board with either NForce chipset or Via - depending on which is recommended - another story.

Any suggestions? please.

Bodi

Bodi 08:53 21 Jun 03

Won't be back until this evening - so please don't think I'm ignoring anyone.

Bodi

Ironman556 09:04 21 Jun 03

The Radeon 9000 Pro 128Mb should dop what you want.

The image quality on the Radeon's is meant to be better than the equivalent geforce.

You can pick one made by Hercules for around £100 or one from Sapphire for a bit less.

AndySD 09:05 21 Jun 03

click here Dabs Value have either the GeForce4 Ti 4200 or the ATI Radeon 9600 for arround £100. (You still need a good card for photographic work)

keith-236785 09:54 21 Jun 03

If you arent into gaming and your existing card works and does what you want, then why dont you just save your money (dont fix what aint broken)

rubella 09:57 21 Jun 03

the Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI is a lovely card, which will work out at about £100 with postage.

click here

Bodi 21:25 21 Jun 03

as usual, angels first class.

paperman27: I promised my son he can have the Matrox, and I really want something with more than 32MB. I would upgrade with the latest Matrox but it is very expensive, and only works with Windows XP.

Thanks again folk, will now go and surf to see the specs of those you recommended.

Bodi

DieSse 23:34 21 Jun 03

"I really want something with more than 32MB"

What do you think more than 32Mb will give you? - it won't be higher resolutions, or higher refresh rates, or greater colour depth.

Bodi 10:38 22 Jun 03

As the grandchildren play games on the computer on rare occasions - a 64MB would probably be better (for more modern games) - I don't have aspirations of some super duper graphics card, but point taken.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…