graphic cards

Teaboy 17:19 20 Jan 10

Hi guys,
After a overheating job I'm having to install two new graphic cards in my computer.

I have learnt that i shall need PCI-E slotted ATI cards, recommended the 5 range.

The question is does the -E stand for express, as all I can find locally is PCI-express cards in the 5 range?

Hope this makes sense, many thanks.

T

Sea Urchin 17:23 20 Jan 10

Yes, see here

click here

GaT7 17:29 20 Jan 10

Is there any particular reason you need TWO graphics cards? G

OTT_B 18:36 20 Jan 10

Crossbow7 makes a good point. Unless you do ultra high resolution gaming, with high FPS, on a very large screen, with a very high refresh rate, a single card would likely suit you just as well.

Assuming your motherboard supports crossfire, spend you money on a single very good card, rather than two mediocre cards.

Teaboy 17:04 21 Jan 10

Thank you Sea Urchin, that what I wanted to know.

Crossbow7- Yes the particular reason being that the computer is a biggy, with a great deal of umph. Before the disaster it had 2x512 ATI 4870 with crossfire for ultimate gaming. These cards are no longer obtainable, (apparently)hence the query. Thanks for your interest.

OTT_B- Please see my reply to Mr. Crossbow7 above.
I shall be looking for two very good cards, not just the one. Thank you.

Sea Urchin 17:46 21 Jan 10

I think they are available - see here

click here

and possibly quite a lot cheaper at Amazon. If you want the same cards again have a search around.

GaT7 17:52 21 Jan 10

Sea Urchin, that's poor value for a HD4870 card. Last time I checked, eBuyer had them for ~£90, which is about right.

Teaboy, will be better off going for the newer 5xxx series card(s). G

Sea Urchin 18:05 21 Jan 10

Thanks Crossbow7 - as you know I'm not an expert on graphics cards :@) - I was clumsily trying to make the point that those cards were still available. Sorry to Teaboy if I was being misleading.

I'll butt out and leave it to the professionals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant