Graphic card+Bios info.

Derek 10:41 14 Jan 04

Some while ago I invested in a rather expensive Graphics card Radeon 9800 Pro and popped it into my Asus A7N8X.

All is well and appears to be working quite nicely but, I had a need to go into my Bios and noted that an item called "Graphice Aperture Size" is set to 32mb.

By selection I have available 64/128/256/and 512.

Since the 'heavy' reading in both the Radeon and the Asus manuals makes little explanation reference to such things, am I taking full advantage of my so-called top end features?

(The Asus book reads "...sets the size of mapped memory in mb, for agp DATA" )

Many thanks in advance. Derek Miles.

Gongoozler 11:57 14 Jan 04

Hi Derek. The aperture size in BIOS is the amount of system memory you are allocating to the graphics card. If your new graphics card has adequate memory, you don't need to allocate much sytem memory. I have read that some software works better with more system memory, and some with less. If all is working well with 32M, then leave it at that, but if you have plenty of system memory, you could experiment with 64M or 128M to see if it makes things work any better.

Gongoozler 11:59 14 Jan 04
  scotty 12:00 14 Jan 04

Put Graphics Aperture Size into Google and you will get numerous links. I have not found a definitive answer but the general opinion appears to be around 128MB. Hope this helps.

Derek 19:09 15 Jan 04

Many thanks to you all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…