//some 3rd party need geo

Graphic card woe

Nelson 18:42 30 Apr 03

I have just installed a PCI graphics card on my second computer, loaded the drivers and at the prompt to restart my computer, did so. Now I have no signal at all to the monitor from either the on board chip or the new card. I obviously cannot do a thing about reversing things as I cannot see a thing! Is there any way forward, Help please!!!

Diemmess 18:50 30 Apr 03

Knee jerk idea.

Take the card out and replace the old setup.
Agree you must be able to see to deal!

Honestly I have no idea why you are so aflicted because if the card was loose you wouldn't have been able to load the drivers.

It may have slipped out of the slot a little but if it happened while rebooting that is stretching coincidence.

Another possibility is the wrong drivers or too much asked of your monitor.

Others will add better ideas

Ironman556 18:59 30 Apr 03

Did you disable onboard graphics?

Do you get absolutely nothing at all? Or does it black out on entering Windows?

Try taking the card out and booting without it in, using your onboard if it's not disabled, you should then be able to get into the BIOS and disable onboard graphics, then replace the new card.

You may also want to check that the IRQ for the graphics card is on its own, try moving it to a different PCI slot if you've got one free.

The only other thing I can add (and this is looking on the black side) is that I've just bought (and returned) a GF4 grahics card... it was just too much for my system to handle, tried somone elses Radion and the system died on me then too.

hugh-265156 19:01 30 Apr 03

shut down the computer and remove the card.plug the monitor into the onboard out and turn on again windows start up the onboard graphics.now go to add remove programs and uninstall any drivers etc for the onboard or new card in here.or go to device manager click on any reference to display adapter and click remove.now shut down the computer slot in the new card again make sure the monitor is plugged into it and turn on the computer if all goes well when prompted to install the drivers dont use the ones on the cd but instead for nvidia cards install from click here or ati cards click here for latest ones.some onboard graphics need to disabled in the bios but ive found with mine anyway that if just removed in device manager it works fine and is disabled when checked in the bios.

Nelson 19:13 30 Apr 03

Going off to try all these suggestions, please feel free to throw some more at me. And thanks to huggyg and ironman for theirs

Nelson 19:27 30 Apr 03

"Did you disable onboard graphics?" Yes
"Do you get absolutely nothing at all?" Absloutely zilch

I have shut down (switched off as I cannot see to shut down!)and removed the card, restarted and still nothing at all, but as I disabled on board I am not surprised. My manchine just sits there beeping every so often.

hugh-265156 19:38 30 Apr 03

if its xp it should start up the onboard graphics if the pci card is removed and the monitor is plugged into the motherboard out.

hugh-265156 19:41 30 Apr 03

if it still doesnt work i would try going into the bios bling and hitting reset default key if you know it.

hugh-265156 19:42 30 Apr 03

what bios and how many beeps long short etc?

hugh-265156 19:43 30 Apr 03

try monitor on second pc and rule that out as problem.

hugh-265156 19:44 30 Apr 03

bling-read blind

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…