graphic card voltage - default too low?

pookie 20:40 04 Feb 05

hi

asus a7n8x-x mobo, 550 watt psu and x800pro 256Mb graphics. reading in posts i see that the more powerful the graphic hard the higher the voltage should be. in my bios agp vddq voltage is 1.5v (other options are 1.6v and 1.7v) - should i set mine higher to help the card in some way?

cheers and have a good weekend.

P

LastChip 21:35 04 Feb 05

It is essential the graphics card is supplied with its specified voltage. This is normally determined by the type of AGP slot the card fits into, but most recent 4x and 8x cards will be 1.5v.

If one of the newer generation cards requires more power, it is supplied with its own power connector, that is plugged into one of the power supplies 12v connectors, and is then regulated by circuitry on the board, as required by the designers.

On NO ACCOUNT over-volt a graphics card. It's an expensive lesson you wont forget.

pookie 21:49 04 Feb 05

cheers - point taken - wife would have been pleased though if pc was out of action for a while :-)

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…