graphic card update

rsinbad 15:21 18 Jun 06

Looking to update my graphic's card and would appreciate your comments for upgrade.

I am not really into games but do use graphic programs, psp, video and tv. My current setup :-

P4 2.8 ghz XP home Sp2

MB gigabite GA-8SIML

Memory 1024mb

current graphic card Gigabyte Mayo 9000 Pro

Not sure about the power supply would need to open case to find out.

Ade_1 15:33 18 Jun 06

What is your budget?

rsinbad 15:52 18 Jun 06

Money's not a problem ;but don't want to spend hundreds on a high speck one, need one that is compatible with my system that meets my needs.

any recomendations, coupled with psu requirements for the card.

Ade_1 15:55 18 Jun 06

If i am right in saying, thanks to Google, your card is an AGP?

rsinbad 16:02 18 Jun 06

Yes i beleive it is the card i have at pres is ok but in some situations i think it struggles

Ade_1 16:02 18 Jun 06

I know someone who got this a while ago - GeForce 6600 256MB AGP Graphics Card
From here - click here

It seems a decent card from what i hear, quite a high performance for its price. I know your not really going ot be using it for Games but it seems to play some of the newer games pretty well at good settings.

I am not 100% on the PSU recommendations though. I think its around 350watt but i would wait for someone to confirm that for you.

You could opt for a cheaper less decent performance but i dont know a huge amount about AGP cards but i know that the one i suggested is a decent card.

Wait and see what other replies you have as there could be a much better value for money card that I dont know about.

rsinbad 16:15 18 Jun 06

thanks for your info. jusut run crucial for compatible graphic cards click here any thoughts?

Ade_1 16:22 18 Jun 06

Hmm... well, i have the PCI-E x800 GT, not GTO, but if the performance is as good as my x800GT PCI-E then im sure that would be good.

Looking at the bottom on, Radeon 9600 SE 128MB AGP, as it says its an entry level and may not support everything for the future. Persoally i would go for something slightly better.
I have heard of the x1300 before and seems to be a half decent card. And if your programs and things you will be using are running ok now with the current card i wouldnt think that it is worth going for x1600 Pro. But thats just my personal opinion.

I would wait for someone else to give their views and thoughts just so that your 100% sure about the card your going to get. It took me over a month to eventually decide the card i wanted.

Ade_1 16:42 18 Jun 06

Woops, just noticed, i forgot to put in the Not word. I meant to say its not worth going for hte x1600pro because if what you have at the moment is running Okay then i dont hitnk its worth spending £130 on something that you wont need.

Sorry again for the confusion

rsinbad 17:28 18 Jun 06

thanks Ade_1 i'm not in any rush like you i'll way up options before i decide.

thanks for your imput

Ade_1 17:32 18 Jun 06

no problem. Im glad to have been able to have helped :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…