Graphic Card Query

briandy 14:41 09 Feb 09

I am looking to replace my old desktop pc with a Dell Studio Slim. I have checked the specs and the Studio Slim has a higher spec than the machine I am replacing. I have just one query.

The Dell comes with an 256Mb ATI Radeon HD3450 graphics card which sells at dabs for about £37. I am not worried about a cheap card provided it is at least as good as the one I already have. My current pc has a 256Mb Radeon 1900GT. I am assuming that the Dell card will be at least as good if not better.

Am I correct?

PSF 14:52 09 Feb 09

Have a look at click here If your card at the moment is the ATI Radeon X1900 GT it is more than twice as fast as the HD3450

Bob The Blob 14:54 09 Feb 09

I'd say the X1900GT is a lot more than just twice as fast!

PSF 14:59 09 Feb 09

ok about 2.8 times faster ishhh :-) LOL

briandy 15:11 09 Feb 09

Thanks for your help.

The only reason I am interested in the graphics card is that I run microsoft's flight and train sims. My current card copes OK but I don't want to downgrade. I will probably not be buying a slimline.

Terry Brown 15:24 09 Feb 09

You may have a problem in that the older style computers had a PCI or AGP card (Fitting to motherboard), while the new ones have a PCI-e fitting.

In all probability your new computer will have SATA drives, and may (or may not) have facilities to use your curent (PCI ?) drives.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant