graphic card problems

brocky46 11:25 14 Aug 06

can anyone help with a couple of similar problems.
my computer has been running win 98se and xp pro at times for the last 3 years or more and just recently when i play halo the computer locks up.
computer will run normally but when playing graphic intensive games just locks solid but can still hear music and sounds from game.
card is an ati 9000se
also my wifes computer runs win 98se but the graphic card i bought for her comp does the same trick, both m/board and card was bought at the same time and iv'e also tried her card in mine comp and it locks my comp up
card is ati 9200 se
on last thing, are agp 4x and 8x interchangable.
both boards are 8x agp and ive still got my old 4x graphic cards around.

many thanks for any help
michael

FelixTCat 11:33 14 Aug 06

brocky46,

I'm a bit surprised that you can play games like Halo at all on those graphics cards. They are both pretty ancient and will certainly not support newer games at any acceptable frame rate.

The card simply cannot cope with the graphics. You don't say what the processors are, but they may not be powerful enough for modern games either.

Regards,

Felix

brocky46 12:05 14 Aug 06

i know the cards are a bit old but they work quite well for me till i can upgrade.
my processor is amd athlon xp3000
my wifes is athlon 1100 but she dont the same games as me mainly gamehouse games which is overloading her present card

vinnyT 12:38 14 Aug 06

Could be temp related, check that all fans (not just the one on gcard) are working and not obstructed by cables etc.

brocky46 13:40 18 Oct 06

bought new motherboard and working ok now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos