Graphic Card To Motherboard Compatibility

No idea 23:26 05 Feb 05

Hi,My motherboard supports SDRAM,however I wish to upgrade my graphics card and notice that a lot have DDR memory.

Will my motherboard support or recognise this?
System details:-Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X socket370 with Pentium 3 processor.
Installed RAM =756MB SDRAM
AGP 4X support
XP PRO fully up to date with all updates and running Directx 9.0.
I was thinking of geforce mx400 series
Thankyou for any suggestions

Bleep 23:39 05 Feb 05

Yes it will work fine, the DDR RAM supports the GPU on the card, your motherboard can only use SDRAM modules that are in support of your CPU.

No idea 23:47 05 Feb 05

Hi Bleep, Thanks for that ,I had previously been told that it would not work and thought an appeal to this forum would bw a good idea before parting with any cash.I will keep this open for a little while to see if other members concur with you .thanks again .
vin

goonerbill © ® 01:29 06 Feb 05

the only possible problem is that you may not get your new graphics card to run at its full potential due to your pc possibly being a bit old. more than likely you max AGP setting will be x4 and most new graphics cards are x8 but that don't mean the new card will not run on your pc, just that it will run a bit slower.

as for the memory thing, no problems there as bleep said he's spot on.

gudgulf 03:01 06 Feb 05

You wont see any speed penalty running an 8x AGP card in a 4x slot with the pc spec you have.Only thing I would add to the other posts is to consider a more up to date card such as a Geforce fx5200 which will support the latest DirectX 9 standard.Whilst perfectly adequate performers the mx400 series is based on the older DirectX 7 standard so wont render a lot of the more modern effects.

Dorsai 07:53 06 Feb 05

My board is 4x AGP, and I found it rather confusing trying to find a more modern GFX card. Some were listed as AGP 2x/4x/8x by the manufacturesrs, and some as just 8x.

In the end I got click here , a GeForce 4 MX4000 128Mb. It is 8x, but is listed on MSI's web site as backward compatable. At a touch under £35 it is not expensive. It works fine, gives a 3D-Mark score about twice that of the card that came out (3d-prophet, 32Mb) and over all is just what I wanted.

goonerbill © ® 10:27 06 Feb 05

forgot to say that AGPx8 graphics cards are backwards compatable as mentioned by Dorsai and when you decide what card you want, look on the companies website for there forum to see if there is any compatability problems mentioned.

No idea 14:18 06 Feb 05

Thank you to Bleep,goonerbill,Dorsai and gudgulf.
All your comments were very helpful and I will now close this Question.
Thanks again, Vin in Lancashire.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…