Graphic card measurments & motherboards

adambucky 21:16 PM 11 Mar 12

Hi I am buying a new pc and want to buy another graphics card to replace the one that comes with the machine. Shopping around i have noticed that the sizes (measurments in mm/cm)of the cards appear to vary - how can i know what size to get?

adambucky 21:21 PM 11 Mar 12

Apologies question about motherboard (in title of thread) is a seperate post

Terry Brown 21:47 PM 11 Mar 12

If you are buying a DELL computer, they use a special size- only made by Dell.

If it is a Desktop,Upright, there should be no problems height wise, however some of the more powerful cards require 2 spaces (slots) and a seperate power supply.

I assume it is a machine with SATA drives and a PCI-e card (16)slot, if it takes a PCI card (generally larger and longer)and/or IDE drives you may have a problem getting one as they are now obsolete.

Terry

KRONOS the First 06:02 AM 12 Mar 12

It would help to know what PC you intend to buy, or at least what make and model of case your PC will come in as this can have a bearing on the size of graphics card you can install. Some are quite long so some cases have not got the space the width to handle the longer cards.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…